FORUMS: list search recent posts

hyperdeck shuttle recording problems

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Laurens
hyperdeck shuttle recording problems
on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:56:40 pm

hi
I am using the hyperdeck shuttle in combination with a sony f3, recording slog, and it was working fine on the very first day but ever since the record button started flashing after a few seconds of rolling. According to support sites this means that the ssd's are too slow so we bought to ssd's (highest transfer speed available, and recommended by blackmagic) but the problem wasn's solved by that, so we opted to go out of the hd sdi port fo the camera into a sdi to hdmi splitter and then hdmi in on the shuttle. My question is whether this is still recording slog, 10bit, uncompressed, 422 or if it's only 420 8bit because of the hdmi cable? the recording issues have stopped now but we suspect that that is because of less information going through, and thus less quality ...
hope someone can answer that ... thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
Re: hyperdeck shuttle recording problems
on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:09:53 pm

Hi Sebastian,
what is your SSD model?
Thanks,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Sebastian Laurens
on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:19:06 pm

at first we used two 6 Gb/s Sandisk SSD's, then we bought two Kingston 6 Gb/s SSD's in the hope that that would solve the issue since the Kingstons are recommended by Blackmagic ... didnt work though

Return to posts index

Gunter Puszkar
on Oct 9, 2012 at 9:29:10 pm

HDMI is possible with 444 RGB at 8 bit or 422 YUV at 10 bit, but not 420.
Its not documented in the shuttles huge manual, which signal is used by the shuttle.
A status screen would be to much vodoo, I guess... since there is the unused DISP button......
And nobody wants to know how long your last take was, or how much is left for recording.
Folks at China or India have thier personal timekeepers...

Do you have a long or bad HDSDI cable used? I' ve seen my shuttle flashing during a very bad cable. I used a HDSDI monitor to loop an reclock it, and it worked at shuttle.

Gunter Puszkar
Head of Postproduction
PostFactory GmbH
Berlin, Germany

Return to posts index

Sebastian Laurens
on Oct 10, 2012 at 6:43:34 am

we used a variety of bnc cables because we initially thought that that was the cause of the problem, none of them actually made a difference so it must have been something in the actual recorder ... what i wonder is that if the hdmi cable can also carry 422 YCbCr 10bit (same as the bnc hdsdi signal) then that would be the same amount of information reaching the recorder, and would in theory cause the same recording flashes if the ssd's were really too slow, right? but it didnt so does that mean that the hdmi signal was actually lower in quality then the bnc signal? or am i missing something?

Return to posts index

Gunter Puszkar
on Oct 10, 2012 at 11:41:47 am

I uses the following SSDs with no errors:
Crucial M4 512GB (CT512M4SSD2) Rev 009
SAN DISK Extreme 480 GB (SDSSDX-480-G Rev R201)
I always reformat the SSDs after each use.

Do you have a Waveform / Vectorscope with a CRC Error logger like ASTRO DESIGN WM 3004 or Leader LV7700HD or Tektronix? Because I had trouble with a cheap camera, which had crc errors and our monitor ignored that and showed a proper signal, but it was impossible to record that signal with an HDCAM Deck or any Shuttle...
We returned that camera, an got a new one with different firmware so it worked in the end...

the datastructure of HDMI and HDSDI is very different, its needed to process through FPGAs or similar arrays to convert them... Its not like DVI and HDMI, which is pretty similar...

Gunter Puszkar
Head of Postproduction
PostFactory GmbH
Berlin, Germany

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]