FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM mixers "dropping" frames

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Olb
ATEM mixers "dropping" frames
on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:35:09 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing "dropped" frames from the ATEM mixers. We are experiencing this from both the Television Studio and an ME1. We record the switch, and can actually see the vision "jump" occasionally when recording. When the switch is put in a multiclip with the camera ISOs (whether recorded on camera or via Samurai), we can see indiscriminate frames missing from the switch, and the switch slips out of sync with the raw footage by 1-4 frames, presumably depending how may frames have dropped. As you can imagine, this is causing a great deal of grief in post.

Jo

Return to posts index

Justin Strauber
Re: ATEM mixers "dropping" frames
on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:15:03 am

What's your setup like? What cameras and are you locking the 1 M/E to any sort of sync source? Also how are you doing the ISO records, off the aux busses or some other method?

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:52:31 pm

As Justin asked - what is your setup exactly (cameras > converters? > HDMI or SDI in, etc, and the same back out.)

The only time I've had video synch issues among multiple cameras was when one (it only takes one) camera was set to a different frame rate than the other cameras (one @ 24P, everything else @ 29.97). In theory the ATEM shouldn't have even seen the camera, but it did, and the cameras would go out of synch from time to time as you described (between 1 and 10 frames).

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

Jon Olb
on Nov 24, 2012 at 3:03:14 am

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your enquiries. The setup is invariably 4 sdi cameras - sometimes a combination of Sony EX cameras and XD Cam. Sometimes 4 identical Panasonics. The cameras always have the same frame-rate etc. What could be causing an issue - though with the in-built synchronisers this should not be an issue - is that sometimes there is video replay from a Macbook Pro. This input is HDMI (from the mini-dvi port), and is always set to the same 50i as everything else. There is no discernable disturbance cutting or mixing from these sources. What happens is that, every so often, there is a visible jump on the output (mid way through a camera shot) where it looks as if a frame is dropped. Then, when it comes time for synching later, there is indeed a synch problem between the switch (however it is recorded) and the ISOs recorded in-camera. The ISOs synch perfectly, but the line cut will drift by several frames, varying each time...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]