FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 with Lenovo Thinkpad W520

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Radu Magureanu
Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 with Lenovo Thinkpad W520
on Oct 1, 2012 at 6:01:35 pm

Did anyone test Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 with Lenovo Thinkpad W520 and found that they work together? If so, how does the capture speed affect the drop off frames (if any) either in uncompressed or compressed mode? Thank you.

Return to posts index

James Archer
Re: Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 with Lenovo Thinkpad W520
on Oct 16, 2012 at 12:58:24 am

I've tried the Intensity Shuttle into a W520 Thinkpad, and it worked to a degree... but even with a SSD drive, it still dropped frames. It says that it's supported by Livestream's laptop streaming page, but when I used it, I did have a fair amount of dropped frames (which could have been related to the ISP, as I was in Mexico). Since then I've not needed to remote broadcast anything, so it might have improved.

Livestream's page regarding this...

http://store.livestream.com/collections/hq-laptop-encoding

Hope that helps a little.

Jim Archer

Return to posts index

Radu Magureanu
on Oct 16, 2012 at 1:54:22 pm

I could not find anyone to confirm that indeed the USB 3.0 version would work with Lenovo Thinkpad W520. It is unfortunate that Blackmagic Design does not do these tests themselves which would eliminate a lot of issues that occur in real life. I do not know if this works to their advantage or disadvantage but I will not venture to buy Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 just in the HOPE that will work as it should!

Return to posts index

James Archer
on Oct 16, 2012 at 2:35:51 pm

I can only confirm that, with the correct USB firmware, and the correct Blackmagic Drivers, you can indeed capture from an Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. I agree that BM should try to certify more computers for their products, but I realize that they are not a extremely large company, and to try to certify every possible combination is not always practical.

I was looking to create a portable streaming solution for my use case, and to it's credit, it worked for that purpose, but I had a few dropouts while broadcasting. I've decided that in the future, I'm going to use their h.264 encoder to offload as much of the processing as I can and let the computer just work on the streaming.

If you want any further details, let me know, and I'll see what I can dig out, since I have both the products you were looking at. In all honesty, I'm wishing that I had gone Mac and Thunderbolt, since that's a much easier thing to quantify.

Jim Archer

Return to posts index

Radu Magureanu
on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:24:48 pm

I totally agree that Thunderbolt is the way to go. I cannot have dropped frames in my type of business (mostly high end film transfer (sound and silent). I am also waiting for Lenovo to come up with the Thundrebolt laptop and QUAD CORE (they do not have one at the time) and combine it with the Blackmagic Thunderbolt. Did you ever find a Windows laptop with Thunderbolt - QUAD CORE - Ivy Bridge that is available "now" in the USA?

Return to posts index

James Archer
on Oct 16, 2012 at 5:17:09 pm

Unfortunately, I have not found any... so I've gotten a Retina Macbook instead and will use it the next time I need to remote stream. My Lenovo W520 has been retasked to serve as a video monitoring computer (horribly overpowered for it).

Jim Archer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]