FORUMS: list search recent posts

BM Pocket Ultrascope..grief and frustration.

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Howard
BM Pocket Ultrascope..grief and frustration.
on Sep 24, 2012 at 10:36:26 pm

Beware!

Contrary to how it is advertised...BM Pocket Ultrascope is a serious challenge to find any "compatible" computer that will run it.

"Just use any compatible computer with USB3.0 to get beautiful looking technically accurate scopes for editing, color correcting and quality control for your broadcast moasters"

"Compatible" is the key word! Its fussy.

I have tried 3 systems that theoreticaly should run this and each a fail. (2x Desktop and one laptop)

This device needs to be sold only as a Turn Key Product with approved computer...it is so specific and with such limited approved hardware specs.

I would be prepared to build a system for it..but that would be a "pig in a poke"! Wont even bother.

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

Adobe CS6 Premiere Pro Production Premium Suite
Windows 7-64 bit:Assus P6T Deluxe Mob, 24 GB BM SDI Decklink, . HD Workflows

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: BM Pocket Ultrascope..grief and frustration.
on Sep 24, 2012 at 11:36:20 pm

as a beta tester, and regular user of the Ultrascope, I am sad to agree with you 100%. As manufacturers continue to obsolete their computers every few months, I have to "hope and pray" that the new computer I choose, with the related NVidia graphics card will work.

I install a LOT of Ultrascopes (it's a great product) but you are correct - it should be sold as a turnkey solution, or Blackmagic should put effort out EVERY THREE MONTHS to say "we have tested these graphics cards, and these cards work".

With that said, it is a minor ordeal to update the NEC (Renesas) USB3 drivers to be exactly what Blackmagic wants to see to get this to work - even if you have the correct graphics card.

With the feeling of "we can't test every graphics card out there" - well, they could test a few, and say "this one works" or "that one works". And the ones on the site are not current cards. IS this a lot of work - of course it is - so either do the work - OR sell a turnkey system (as you suggested) and mark it up - the Ultrascope will still be a great product at a fraction of the price of any other waveform on the market.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Sep 24, 2012 at 11:57:02 pm

or they could bundle the software with Ultrastudio mini recorder and charge for it. if it works with the cinema camera why not?

http://www.4Kfinish.com | owner-colorist | Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

Craig Howard
on Sep 25, 2012 at 1:59:39 am

Thanx for commenting.

Adding to my frustration was also updating the Renesas USB Driver. A nightmare that I have not yet realised and finished.

USB driver is so specific...Why did BM not put it on the install disc? My USB hub manufacturer latest driver differs from BM spec! (Driver # is same 2.0.4.0 and the firmware 3021 instead of 3025)

BM Design does suggest a link in the manual to what they need... at station-drivers.com... but..

...this takes a lot of navigating and eventually one ends up with a bunch of files...non of which are the install driver !

My 3 different machines all have a different reason (error) why the device wont run on them. Only one is an NEC USB Hub. One would think that GTX 560, 570 and a GT 555m graphics card would be good enough but of course none of these are "approved" by BM specs.

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

Return to posts index

Craig Howard
Re: BM Pocket Ultrascope..hardware specs.
on Sep 25, 2012 at 10:58:39 pm

Here is what you need:

http://www.newmagic.com.au/support/Files/Blackmagic_Design_USB_3.0_FAQ.pdf

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

Return to posts index

Gunter Puszkar
Re: BM Pocket Ultrascope..hardware specs.
on Oct 9, 2012 at 9:49:45 pm

I add as working combinations:

ASUS P8P67 deluxe mainboard
INTEL i7 2600K processor or i5 2500
ASUS U3S6 USB PCIe expansion card
Nvidia GTX570, GTX480, GTX580, GTX680
AMD ATI 4850, 5850, 7970

I agree the firmware search and trying with nec renesas was a bit pain.

Gunter Puszkar
Head of Postproduction
PostFactory GmbH
Berlin, Germany

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]