FORUMS: list search recent posts

Teranex 2D (or 3D)... file based...

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathon Lee
Teranex 2D (or 3D)... file based...
on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:37:48 pm

Question for BMD... I see that you can capture "processed" files via Thunderbolt. However, it is unclear if you can do a "round trip" via TB of existing files. Can this be done on a single computer or do we need to use to machines... one to playback and one to capture. I often have files that I need to convert that I'd rather not go machine to machine.

thanks,

Jonathon

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Teranex 2D (or 3D)... file based...
on Sep 24, 2012 at 9:45:03 pm

You will need to systems if you want to process video files.

Return to posts index

Csongor Fazakas
on Jan 7, 2013 at 9:22:54 am

Hi,

I got a problem with my Teranex 2d. I'm using 2 macbook's to capture a digital clip 1080 50i in 1080 25p. So in short I want to de-interlace it.
I'm using on one laptop the thunderbolt connection and on the other the HDMI out. But the capture setting remains grey. What I am doing wrong? Please help.

Return to posts index

Eurie Chung
on Jan 28, 2013 at 5:03:18 am

After receiving my Teranex 2D, I attempted a similar thing -- capturing converted video through the Thunderbolt port. After speaking with Blackmagic tech support, I was informed that the Thunderbolt port WILL NOT allow you to capture a converted video signal. At this time, it will only allow you to do a native capture of your footage.

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Jan 28, 2013 at 6:40:34 am

Hey Eurie,

Not sure who at BMD told you that, however, I just did a shot by shot conversion of two feature documentaries where I captured footage processed by the Teranex onto my 17" MBP via Thunderbolt. Perhaps they misunderstood your question. You for sure cannot do a loop through via TB on the same machine, however, you absolutely can capture footage processed on the Teranex via TB.

I've done this on the 2D, never tried it on a 3D. It took a bit of finagling to get it too work. The power up sequence is very important. The Teranex may not be recognized if you hot plug it and sometimes you need to re-boot the computer. You need to make sure that TB is NOT the playback source. I was only able to get this to work using the BMD capture utility, not via FCP.

Hope this helps.

- Jonathon

Return to posts index

Eurie Chung
on Jan 28, 2013 at 8:41:19 am

Thanks Jonathon. Perhaps the person I spoke to misunderstood, or I misunderstood his answer, but I was left with the very strong impression that I could only capture converted signal through SDI. I also was under the impression that the BMD capture software was only designed for native capture and would not convert. I'll definitely revisit this option as a file to file test through Final Cut has yielded some weak results.

Would you mind sharing with me how you set up your Teranex for file to file conversion?

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Jan 29, 2013 at 3:01:24 am

Hey Eurie,

I don't have the unit in front of me right now, but I'll try to remember....

First, make sure you have latest BMD software installed. Make sure Teranex is powered off prior to connecting to the computer. Power up the Teranex after you connect it to the Mac. Goto "About This Mac", click on "More Info" then click on "System Report" then click on "Thunderbolt" under Hardware -- we're checking to make sure the computer see's the Teranex.

If it sees the unit you can close out the System Information window. If it is not recognized reboot the computer and go check again....

OK... so now that you've verified that the computer see's the unit launch the BMD capture utility named "Media Express".

After the app launches click on the "Log and Capture" tab that is towards the lower right hand part of the window. If you do not do this the Teranex will not be put into capture mode. Clicking between the Log and Capture tab and the Playback tab toggles the Teranerx between Capture and Playback modes.

Now under the 'Device" pulldown menu select the Teranex unit. If you do not see your Teranex there then the computer and/or Media Express do not recognize the unit.

I must say that it did take me a few reboots of the computer and the Teranex to get everything happy. After eventually getting the unit to work it seemed to operate without issue from then on. Which makes me think I was doing something wrong. Like I said, I've done two feature length docs this way and I'm going to do another one this week... so I know this does work.

The setup I'm using is a Mac Pro with a decklink card playing back my source footage and I'm using a 17" MBP to capture the footage. One thing that I DO NOT like about this version of the Teranex is that there is no indication of how the unit is locking to external sync. The older VC-300 has a page where it tells you what the sync condition is. This was a troubling to me as I could not be sure if everything was properly locked. That needs to be fixed. Also, there is no remote control of the unit so you are forced to use the front panel controls. I frankly prefer the older units. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a nice software update soon.

best,

Jonathon Lee

Return to posts index

Eurie Chung
on Jan 30, 2013 at 12:08:01 am

Thanks for the explanation Jonathon, it's greatly appreciated.

I have a similar setup, except a MacPro with a Kona 3G card going SDI out into the Teranex and then Thunderbolt into a Mac Mini for capture. I have the BMD Teranex software installed and the Teranex is recognized by the Mac Mini, but whenever I have the Thunderbolt cable plugged in, it seems to cut off the SDI signal coming in. When I unplug it, I can see the signal without a problem. I'm on hold with BMD customer support right now and will update if I get this resolved.

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:53:29 pm

Hi Euri,
Did you ever get an answer from Blackmagic? I'm debating the exact same workflow and would love to know any of the pitfalls upfront.

Return to posts index

Eurie Chung
on Apr 1, 2014 at 11:38:18 pm

Hi Matt, I ultimately ended up doing an After Effects upconversion on my files. I've continued to use the Teranex to convert various SD tape formats (Beta SP, Digibeta, and miniDV) but just haven't had the need to set up and trouble shoot the two computer workflow through the Teranex since that last beast of a documentary project. I may revisit this again and evaluate the results, but I don't have a great answer for you. My short answer was that it was more trouble than it seemed worth, and with a looming deadline, I just didn't have the time to keep messing around with the set up to get it to work.

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Apr 2, 2014 at 2:20:57 am

Thanks for the update!

After a few phone calls I ended up adding a Hyperdeck to my order, which I'm pretty excited about. Unfortunately it arrived with a dead SDI In port, which BMD has been great about and already got a new one in the mail for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]