FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink 4K gone?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Cannon
Decklink 4K gone?
on Sep 8, 2012 at 5:40:41 am

Looks like the Decklink 4K that was announced over a year ago has disappeared off the BM website. Has anybody heard if that's definite? Very recently the website listed it as "shipping September."

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
Re: Decklink 4K gone?
on Sep 8, 2012 at 6:22:57 am

Check the BMD website now.. a ton of IBC announcements. New 4k card... decklink 4k extreme... 4k 3d card with HDMI 1.4... also a 4k thunderbolt 3d interface... and a second model of camera with a different mount.. and a bunch of other stuff.

New card is better. Stereo HDMI and SDI @ 4k.

Return to posts index

sushil sharma
on Sep 8, 2012 at 10:06:50 am

a bit of disappointment for me. looks like decklink 4k extreme is an HD extreme on steroids(may be they have just upgraded the firmware). Something like this is already possible for me with my kona 3G.
4k extreme says color depth 10 bit (decklink 4k was 12 bit). No mention of XYZ colorspace, i know i can do a little bit of that using LUT in resolve but then what was the point to make that into their previously announced decklink 4k. Also they are forcing to go for dual 3G speed SDI (they say blackmagic pioneering, how others will go for it is a question.)instead of quad SDI.
This may be the reason they say 4k only at 4:2:2, because of dual link SDI instead of quad link that also this makes a bit of unclear how will it connects to projectors like christie d4k35. i already have decklink extreme 3d+ and i was planning to buy decklink 4k because of 12bit color resolution. (this is now even more relevant because i am promised a software upgrade to make my flanders 12 bit XYZ.)grading even a 4k project with 2k or even hd monitoring was sufficient for me, but now they have removed my temptation point.(possibly????? because specifications are still a bit unclear on their site). however HDMI addition is a good thing to add (but still unclear about exact specifications.) we don't need analog on this very card. and one more thing i forgot: it says 4k =3840X2160,i think that is quad hd. decklink 4k offered more resolution choices.

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Sep 8, 2012 at 2:45:33 pm

I agree with Sushil on just about every point - 3840x2160 is NOT 4K, and many of the 4K's features that made it appealing for color correction (quad-SDI, XYZ , 12-bit) are gone. Plus it's twice the price.

Also problematic is that it doesn't look like BM will offer these features in any card, at any price. Their competitors do, however, and other vendors are incorporating similar features (Flanders Scientific just added XYZ and 12-bit support to their monitors this week, saying it "ensures compatibility with some of the industry's most advanced 12bit serial digital input/output interfaces"). For the last 18 months there's been the promise that "any month now" Resolve would get a card that worked for 4096 resolutions over quad SDI in XYZ. Apparently not, and for the first time I feel Resolve could be hamstrung by it's exclusive use of Decklink cards.

I hope it's technically possible for them to use the same Decklink 4K Extreme hardware to offer these features with some kind of firmware upgrade, or they quickly release a "Decklink 4K Extreme +"

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Sep 9, 2012 at 5:31:30 pm

Yes, I didn't read the specs closely..... agree... bummer.

Return to posts index

sushil sharma
on Nov 8, 2012 at 6:56:04 am

Anyone from blackmagic to comment here plz. if decklink 4k is EOL, plz add support for corvid ultra or dvs in windows version or plz develop 16 bit chips based card which can support 12 bit color and still have margin for future technology. blackmagic has really changed the game of post production from literal "blackmagic" to efficient and viable solutions in the past and hope will continue to do so in future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]