FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possible to capture DigiBeta or Beta SP PAL with USB h.264 video recorder?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raoul Hernandez
Possible to capture DigiBeta or Beta SP PAL with USB h.264 video recorder?
on Sep 7, 2012 at 3:20:07 am

Hi there,

I have some PAL VHS, BetaSP and DigiBeta footage to transfer while in Europe. I'll only have my Macbook Pro while there and so I'm thinking of renting the necessary decks and outputting through the s-video port to the Blackmagic h.264 video recorder (the basic USB version, not the Pro version).

Based on the specs, it seems pretty certain that this setup will work for the VHS footage, but will it also work for the BetaSP and DigiBeta tapes?

Thanks very much,
Raoul.

Return to posts index

Simeon Pines
Re: Possible to capture DigiBeta or Beta SP PAL with USB h.264 video recorder?
on Sep 7, 2012 at 9:25:25 am

No need for digi and SP. Just hire a Sony J30 and it's got firewire (iLink) built in.

Return to posts index

Sarah Jones
on Sep 7, 2012 at 5:36:56 pm

Hi Raoul,

BetaSP and DigiBeta shouldn't be an issue with the Video Recorder. If you do decide to use the s-video output, make sure you also grab a Y-C splitter to separate the luminance and chrominance onto two RCA cables. You can find them on Amazon, B&H, and other places fairly cheaply. Also, since you are going to be capturing from VHS tapes, be aware that due to the ability of tape to stretch over time, you may run into issues where the tape has stretched in places and falls in and out of spec. When renting a deck while in Europe, you might consider something with a time base corrector built in or even a separate TBC to keep the tape in spec.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sarah
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Raoul Hernandez
on Sep 10, 2012 at 7:28:31 pm

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the response. It sounds very reassuring.

Thanks for the tip regarding the VHS tapes. As the tapes are really old, it is very likely that it will be stretched in certain places. If I can't find a TBC device, how does the out of spec video manifest itself when being digitized? Will the Video Recorder capture everything as is (tracking problems and all), or will it stop recording altogether if the signal is lost for a moment, (in the way a DV tape with dropped frames cut out during transfer via firewire).

Thanks again,
R.

Return to posts index

Sarah Jones
on Sep 11, 2012 at 5:31:22 pm

Hi Raoul,

An out of spec signal will typically manifest as black through the hardware. More often that not, you'll see the video flicker between picture and black at a high frequency. The tracking issues you would see on the VCR would not show the same through the Video Recorder (i.e. static and scrolling lines). In their place you'll see the flickering I've described.

Regards,

Sarah
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Raoul Hernandez
on Sep 13, 2012 at 5:25:09 am

Ok, thanks for clarifying!

Best,
R.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]