FORUMS: list search recent posts

What board and video card to purchase

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Chambers
What board and video card to purchase
on Sep 6, 2012 at 4:51:05 pm

I am looking at wanting to purchase and build a new computer to record and stream with and was looking for some advice on brand and model board I should purchase. Was looking into maybe getting the new Intel board with the X79 chipset and the new extreme i7 processor.

Here is our setup:

We have a Vaddio camera system that connects into a Kramer switcher device. Out of the Kramer we hook into a BlackMagic Intensity Pro with HDMI. Out of our sound board we are going into the RCA audio ports on the card. We then use Wirecast to record the video to a secondary hard drive at 720p and we broadcast to ustream.tv. The video card has to support dual screens because we use the Wirecast feature to send the video feed to the extended monitor and split it back into several monitors in the meeting room.

Currently we have an Intel DH55TC board with an i5 in it and a ATI Radeon 4800 graphics card and it is giving us fits. It will randomly blue screen so we want to try replacing it.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: What board and video card to purchase
on Sep 7, 2012 at 3:02:10 am

Are you sure it's the motherboard and not the OS (installation)? Intel boards are generally stable.

If stability is your first priority (I imagine it is), I would go for a an entry-level HP Z420 workstation: it starts just above $1.2K, very stable; comes with a 3-year on-site warranty. It could be one of the Dell Precision systems, too.

If that for some reason doesn't work out, I'd look at Intel, Supermicro server/ workstation class boards - those that are engineered for stability, support ECC memory, etc. Let me know if you need specific suggestions.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]