FORUMS: list search recent posts

Latency, Latency, Latency

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robbie Brandon
Latency, Latency, Latency
on Aug 30, 2012 at 7:16:39 pm

I have racked my brain and eyes, and now I must call on the masters for help. I am designing a video system for a local church and have run into a bit of a problem. Of course, I know this is the place to go to find the pros. So, a brief rundown of the system:
4 - Sony PMW-200's (3 on tripods, One on steadicam scout HD)
1 - Black Magic Design Atem 1 M/E switcher
3 - PCs (1 for editing, 1 for switcher, one for graphics(Pro Presenter))
2 - Evision 6000 WXGA (1280x800)-Out of component of Atem through 1:2
Distribution amplifier

Here is the issue. Latency is of the utmost importance to these people. The latency they are experiencing on I-Mag (the projectors in the venue) isn't really that bad. So, in the new system, I have to genlock the entire system in order to gain back the 1 frame of latency that would otherwise result from the Atem's internal frame synchronizers. So, there are two questions:

1. What else can I do to minimize latency? After Genlocking, Is it up to how much latency the cameras add themselves at that point?

2. How do others use a steadicam and get around the genlocking issue? I can find a wireless HD-SDI solution, no problem. But I seem to have hit a dead end on the syncing issue. What would be the result if I genlocked 3 cameras and the switcher, but not the 4th camera? Would I still get good fades in the switcher, or would there surely be anomalies?

I truly appreciate any help you can give.

P.S. Mods, feel free to move this to the appropriate place. Thanks!
Robbie Brandon is online now Report Post

Return to posts index

Roy Seegers
Re: Latency, Latency, Latency
on Sep 11, 2012 at 8:00:25 pm

Hi Robbie,

wow, that's a nice setup for a church! They surely don't have those budgets here in the Netherlands.

After genlocking the camera's and making sure de mixer doesn't synchronise the inputs again (FS off), check if you have deactivated DVE's that can add to the delay. I haven't used Atems yet, but our Panny mixers do add 1 frame while using PIP's.

I don't think it's possible to genlock the wireless camera without 1 frame delay. Receivers I've seen always buffer the incoming video in order to sync them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]