FORUMS: list search recent posts

DirecTV HR24-200 & Intensity Thunderbolt

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kory Johnson
DirecTV HR24-200 & Intensity Thunderbolt
on Aug 23, 2012 at 12:10:02 am

Good Evening. I have a question in regards (a few actually) to hooking up my DirecTV HD-DVR Box. Now, I know that I cannot hook it up via HDMI because of the HDCP protection. I spoke with a technician at BlackMagic for a bit and he explained that I could achieve this through the component hookups so as a result, I've been toying around with that and can't get it to work at all but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

The HD-DVR is normally hooked up using HDMI to my TV. I've hooked a set of component cables into the IN ports on my Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt and hooked the opposite ends to the DirecTV box. I've accessed the device settings and switched it from HDMI to Component on my Macbook.

I then open Media Express and see nothing, I've tested all of the formats and just a black screen on all of them. Now, I've simply unhooked the HDMI from the back of the DVR so it has no connection to the TV at all.

All that I have hooked up to the DTV Box is the set of RGB component cables that I mentioned thats going into the Intensity Shuttle. Do I have to have the box hooked up to a TV in order for it to work?

I'm just not sure what else I need to do and/or what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chase Mayo
Re: DirecTV HR24-200 & Intensity Thunderbolt
on Sep 5, 2012 at 9:09:24 pm

Kory,

There's three things that could be causing your problem:

1. Do you have the HDMI connected to the box while you are trying to receive the signal via component? If so, disconnect it. Some DirecTV receivers do not allow the box to output component if an HDMI cable is connected.

2. Check the settings on your DirecTV receiver. Often, boxes have settings that specify how to output (HDMI vs component).

3. Check the settings on your capture device. You mention RGB, but are referencing component. These are two different things. RGB refers to a computer video signal while "component" refers to YPbPr. If you have an option for RGB/YPbPr - choose YPbPr as this is what your DirecTV receiver is outputting.

Hope this helps!

Chase

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]