FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hyperdeck Shuttle Green HDMI In

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Holmes
Hyperdeck Shuttle Green HDMI In
on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:46:26 pm

In hooking up my 2 new Hyperdeck Shuttles I realized that both are plagued by the exact same problems:

(1) When running a HDMI signal from my AJA IOHD to the Shuttle the recorded image is green
This problem has been documented several times in various places:
here at the Cow
here again at the Cow
here at DVXuser

Some of these posts go back more than 1 year and still no solution? If I plugin my C300 to the Shuttle, no problem. But the AJA doesn't talk correctly to it?

(2) Regardless of what I set the HyperDeck Shuttle to record in using the software tool through USB on a Mac (Uncompressed, DNxHD Quicktime, or DNxHD MXF) the Shuttle ONLY records in Uncompressed. I hit "Save" and see the blue progress bar indicating it's updating, but nothing changes when I inspect the recorded files. The codec is always Uncompressed 4:2:2. I specifically need the DNxHD format for my solution. Uncompressed is just not reasonable to shoot.

Any help BMD?

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle Green HDMI In
on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:06:39 am

Hi Ryan,

The green image you see is most likely caused by an RGB colourspace on the IOHD's HDMI output. This is the only reason I have seen this green colouration occur before. The HyperDeck Shuttle only records in a YUV colourspace, and I'm not sure it has any way it could convert RGB to YUV. I know the development team have been made aware of the issue, but I can't say if it's a behaviour that can be changed. I'm afraid I don't know AJA equipment very well, but maybe there's a way to change the colourspace on the IOHD?

I'm not sure why the format isn't changing for you though. This seems quite strange. Please do make sure that you are using the latest HyperDeck software (v3.0.2). If you still have problems, I would suggest trying it from a different computer system and see if that makes a difference. If not, please try downgrading the firmware by using an earlier HyperDeck software version (v2.0 for example), and then upgrading again to 3.0.2. You can use the 'Archived drivers' link next to the current download to find an older version. If the problem still remains after this I would suggest contacting your regional support team using the numbers here.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Tho Nguyen
on Aug 21, 2012 at 8:32:50 am

Hi Chris, the "Green" phenomena at Shuttle HDMI-Input is well noted since long time. We have tried with diffrent labtops PC, MAC, no way. If we use HDMI-SDI Converter from Righton (http://www.righton.com.tw) and feed SDI to Shuttle, the signal become OK.

Last week we have a customer, who ordered the Shuttle 2 to play his movie in DNxHD-Quick time, which was copied from his Macbook to SSD. The Shuttle played back without audio. OK, i told him to record the film directly from his Avid-NLE (MAC) via HDMI. It was green. OK we changed to a Sony VAIO-NLE. It was again green.
The last trick was the a.m. HDMI-SDI Converter. It worked, but the time over! What a disaster!

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Aug 22, 2012 at 3:10:49 am

Hi Tho,

I've been looking into your problem with the audio channels. I have tried with Media Composer to see if I can export a file that the HyperDeck Shuttle will play back with audio, and so far I'm afraid I have not found a satisfactory setting.

I think that the HyperDeck wants to playback only files that match the settings it uses to record, but I am not able to find an export setting in Media Composer that matches this. It may otherwise be possible in other applications but I can't think of anything that might do the job at the moment.

I will put in a feature request for extra audio support, I think there are others who want to use the Hyperdecks simply as media players.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Aug 21, 2012 at 5:45:55 pm

[Chris Pearse] "The HyperDeck Shuttle only records in a YUV colourspace, and I'm not sure it has any way it could convert RGB to YUV"

Yep, I forgot this was an issue with several BMD products. I think this should be listed on your "Tech Specs" page for the product as well. Only records signals from YUV color space; cannot record RGB HDMI inputs. Might save some folk a headache (provided they read the tech specs page).

I think I'm also running into HDMI v1.1 (IO HD) vs 1.3 (Shuttle) issues. Even when the IO HD is set to send out a YUV HDMI signal the Shuttle still can't properly display the signal. I'm going to try out the SDI port and hope that solves the problem!

As for the recording format, if I send the Shuttle a correct signal it records in the format I've selected in software (MXF, mov, etc.). If the signal is at all messed up then the Shuttle apparently defaults to Uncompressed format regardless of what was said through the software to USB connection.

Thanks for the quick suggestions!

Ryan Holmes
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Aug 22, 2012 at 2:52:34 am

The HyperDecks are actually a little unusual in that they don't perform the RGB to YUV conversion. To my knowledge all of our HDMI capture cards, converters and switchers will perform the conversion. I expect SDI will probably work better since it's not as finicky as HDMI. Please let us know how this goes.

The only thing I can think of with the recording format is that if the HyperDeck is being fed standard definition signals, it will record in uncompressed. DNxHD will of course only work with HD signals.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Aug 22, 2012 at 6:42:21 pm

[Chris Pearse] "The HyperDecks are actually a little unusual in that they don't perform the RGB to YUV conversion."

Feature request for future product releases! ;-)

[Chris Pearse] "The only thing I can think of with the recording format is that if the HyperDeck is being fed standard definition signals, it will record in uncompressed. DNxHD will of course only work with HD signals."

For some reason, I think I overlooked this. Great point. Any chance y'all will be licensing ProRes to run on these little guys? That codec handles SD to 2K without any problems. Maybe that's 2 feature requests for future products then - RGB to YUV conversion and ProRes recording codec.

Ryan Holmes
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Carly Smith
on Sep 15, 2013 at 5:44:50 pm

Also having the same issue here with a slightly different setup.

I am exporting video out using the GeForce HDMI port into the BM Shuttle 2.

Using a scan converter on DVI and/or VGA works perfectly, HDMI throws a green image.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Andrew Riebe
on May 3, 2014 at 2:24:57 am

So, to get this to record on from my laptop, I was able to change the colorspace using the NVIDIA settings. Instead of using RGB, I used YCbCr444 digital color format to get what I wanted.

Works perfectly, now I get uncompressed, 10bit 1080p 30fps recordings of what I am doing :)

Return to posts index

Mike Larson
on Aug 25, 2014 at 6:08:13 am

Andrew,

1) What graphics card did you use?
2) What computer? specs?
3) I don't see any option in the Nvidia control panel to use YUV color. This is on a cheap old Acer R3610 net-top but it doesn't look like Nvidia has changed their control panel since. I even looked at the latest manual for their workstation class cards:

NVIDIA Control Panel for Quadro Professional Drivers: DU-05524-331_v02 | October 28, 2013, User’s Guide

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/Quadro_Certified/320.78/320.78-nvidia...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Andrew Riebe
on Aug 25, 2014 at 12:22:42 pm

1) NVidia Quadro 1000M
2) Dell Precision M4700
3) The attached video shows where I found it (recorded using the Hyperdeck Shuttle):

My menu options

Return to posts index

Mike Larson
on Aug 25, 2014 at 4:27:30 pm

Thank you very much! and a video also, great! That's a very nice laptop but with a hefty price! ($1,500) I was planning on building a desktop and for that price I can build a really good one. (no disrespect intended) I know, with performance comes cost. Well, I now know at least one computer/graphics chip that will work with the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2.

Please! if anyone else has been able to record HDMI out from their computer (PC/MAC, desktop or laptop) with the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2, please post here with specs.

Thanks again Andrew!

Return to posts index

Antti Eintola
on Nov 11, 2015 at 3:30:06 pm

Hi,

Can you check your driver version and the nVIDIA Control Panel version too!
I have the same setup, but I don't find the options you showed in your video.

Thanks,
Antti

Return to posts index

Andrew Riebe
on Nov 11, 2015 at 6:44:26 pm

Yeah, I have Driver Version 327.62 and Nvidia Control Panel v 7.8.820.0. I have found if I upgrade past this version, I am no longer able to adjust the color format.

Return to posts index

Antti Eintola
on Dec 1, 2015 at 2:20:17 pm

Thanks! But I couldn't find that driver version, and nVidia support either.

But I also found out that you can change the Color Space -setting on newer versions also. The thing is that you can't clone your desktop - you have to use Hyperdeck as an external display and extend your desktop to it. After that you can go to nVidia Control Panel and change the Color-setting.

Of course you have to attach a display to your Hyperdeck HDMI-out in order to see anything...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]