FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm So Frustrated with My Shuttle 2

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Marotti
I'm So Frustrated with My Shuttle 2
on Aug 13, 2012 at 6:42:40 pm

Hello,

I just invested in a Shuttle 2 (and peripherals)and can't find a way to use it successfully.

It's a shame because I love so many things about it, but I can't get it to produce files that are of any acceptable quality. I know there must be a fix, especially with all of your expertise.

I started a post in the DLSR Video Forum before I noticed that you had a dedicated BMD Forum here.

So rather than double posting, I would appreciate it if you could give this thread a look.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/280/9391#9391

Thank You So Much!!!!!!!

AM :-)

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: I'm So Frustrated with My Shuttle 2
on Aug 14, 2012 at 5:07:30 am

Hi Anthony,

I'm sorry I don't know much about the GH2, but it sounds like the HDMI output of the camera is probably spitting out 1080i59.94. I know that this is common amongst the popular DSLRs, so I expect it's probably the same for the GH2. I imagine the problem arises due to the conversion from 24fps to 29.97. The HyperDeck doesn't modify the incoming signal, so any artifacts you're seeing in the captured files should be present on the HDMI output of the camera. To capture without these artifacts you would need to output in a format that doesn't display them, but I'm afraid I don't know if this is possible with that particular camera. Alternatively there may be methods of removing the problem in post, but this isn't something I'm familiar with.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Anthony Marotti
on Aug 14, 2012 at 6:55:58 am

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the reply!

Trying to get any info from Panasonic is like trying to breath under water :-)

I believe the signal coming out of the HDMI is 1080i 60.

I am looking at every piece of information I can get my hands on, like I stated,I like the Shuttle and would love to use it.

I hope that someone out there can address this because the GH2 is quite popular and a lot of owners are hacking the camera to get better results, and they are all candidates for the Shuttle.

All feedback is welcome!

Thanks Again... Anthony

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
on Aug 19, 2012 at 5:20:20 pm

I know next to nothing about the GH2 also, but without any hacks, it is putting out 24 fps embedded in 60I (24pf). You need a program to remove the pulldown. If you use Google and search for "pulldown removal" you will find numerous tutorials that will match up against your available software.

Return to posts index

Anthony Marotti
on Aug 19, 2012 at 7:59:53 pm

Hello, and thanks for the reply!

I have read so many conflicting specs on the HDMI output that it's mind boggling.

So don't take this wrong, but where did you get your information from?

Thanks for the tip, I will Google "pulldown removal" shortly.

BTW I think I solved the problem using another technique.

In CS6 I right click on my clip in the bin and conform it to Upper First, but it also works with Lower First, that makes the clips look fine on my timeline, although when output the results are horrible.

Now when exporting to Media Encoder (only tried it with H.264) I choose Progressive, and that corrects all of the problems that I was having.

Thanks Again!!

Anthony

Return to posts index

Kyle Lake
on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:13:38 pm

Anthony,

I came across your post while researching the hyperdeck shuttle. Considering buying one for similar purposes. Your situation best resembles mine. Adobe software suite, Lumix GH2. I actually bought the GH2 as a third cam for a 3 cam shoot with the ATEM 1 M/E black magic switch. This is when I learned (after I'd bought GH2) that the hdmi out is strictly for previews because it DOES in fact drop frames. I believe the manual indicates "The image on the television is displayed with periodical dropped frames while recording motion
pictures." I honestly think it ALWAYS drops frames whether recording or not. Only time it doesn't is when playing back a recorded video from the cam...meaning what you're capturing into the shuttle has dropped frames. It didn't make much difference in appearance with our switcher, but we didn't bring that in as uncompressed footage to edit.

I'm considering buying the shuttle to use as an instant replay device and wondered if you could answer a couple of questions.
1) will it playback in slow-motion (probably would be via usb 2.0 software interface and not local controls?)
2) if you run hdmi in from cam and hdmi out to monitor does video being captured show up on monitor while recording or is the hdmi out only for playback?

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Aug 23, 2012 at 12:41:30 am

Hi Kyle,

I'm afraid the HyperDeck Shuttle doesn't have a function to play back in slow motion. It's quite a simple device, with controls for play, stop, skip forward and back, and record. The USB connection is only used for changing certain settings such as the codec.

When you're inputting video, that input signal will loop-through to both the HDMI and SDI output for monitoring.

You can download the manual from the support page here for more information on the device's functions.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Anthony Marotti
on Aug 23, 2012 at 3:10:54 am

Hey Kyle,

I don't remember reading in the manual that there are repeated dropped frames??

I know that the Panasonic know how to answer questions without really saying anything. I have asked them for specifics and all I get back is a cookie cutter response that it wasn't designed for that... well I didn't ask you what it was designed for, I asked what exact signal is being output to the HDMI port... I am so sick of non-tech, entry level people and interns being assigned to tech support :(

Anyway, the whole interlaced thing was fixed just by altering my editing workflow as mentioned in my previous post.

As far as playback is concerned, just like Chris said, the shuttle is a simple record and playback machine, it doesn't even let you change between uncompressed and NDxHD recording without hooking it up to your computer.

The only control you have over the deck wen in VTR mode is through the physical controls on the unit i.e. the buttons.

And the only control you have while connected to the computer is to change the recording mode as mentioned above, and some housekeeping chores.

Yes you can connect the Shuttle to your monitor and use your monitor normally, not just for playback. The HDMI is a true loop through and works as designed and advertised.

It's a solid (like a tank) little unit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]