FORUMS: list search recent posts

talking to an Extreme using firewire adaptor

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Lyons
talking to an Extreme using firewire adaptor
on Aug 12, 2012 at 9:53:35 pm

I have an older MacPro with no videocard and need to actually view some 1080i 60 footage on a proper video monitor, not a computer screen. I borrowed my friends BM extreme thinking that I might be able to use a firewire to thunderbolt adaptor to send my video out through it to my monitor.

But I don't think it will work. I think I have the drivers etc. but my system doesn't really see it.

Am I correct in thinking now that the thunderbolt to firewire is primarily of use for people to feed out of the TB port to a firewire hard drive, and what I'm trying to do just won't work?

Or am I missing something?

Doug

-- A Proud member of the Reality Based Community since 1992.

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: talking to an Extreme using firewire adaptor
on Aug 13, 2012 at 12:24:18 am

Hi Doug,

As you say, I understand the ThunderBolt to FireWire adapter is simply for connecting FireWire devices, such as hard disks, to a ThunderBolt port on a Mac. I don't believe the reverse can work.

However, there are protocol and bandwidth issues that mean FireWire could not be used with our capture devices. Depending on the device you have, you will require either a PCI Express, ThunderBolt or USB 3.0 port to use it.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: talking to an Extreme using firewire adaptor
on Aug 13, 2012 at 3:06:07 am

[Doug Lyons] "Am I correct in thinking now that the thunderbolt to firewire is primarily of use for people to feed out of the TB port to a firewire hard drive, and what I'm trying to do just won't work?"

Yep.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]