Recording the DVI out from a PC

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Jones
Recording the DVI out from a PC
on Aug 7, 2012 at 2:48:35 pm

Hi all,

Bit of a longshot here, but:

If you set the graphics card output to 1920x1080 at 50Hz, converted the DVI to HDMI, could the Hyperdeck Shuttle record the signal? I am trying to solve a problem of recording the desktop (under linux, mac, & windows) without putting a strain on the machine.

Thanks,

- Gary Jones

Return to posts index

Aleksander Steffensen
Re: Recording the DVI out from a PC
on Aug 8, 2012 at 8:29:59 am

You would have to output interlaced for it to work in that resolution. Here is a list of supported formats, look under the "HD format support" section: http://blackmagicdesign.com/products/hyperdeckshuttle/techspecs/

If you need progressive video, you can't do 50 Hz.

Aleksander Steffensen
Steffensen Multimedia

Return to posts index

Richard Freemantle
Re: Recording the DVI out from a PC
on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:53:44 pm

Hi Gary,

My solution to this problem was:

H264 Pro-Recorder +
GFX Card (NVidia) with HDMI out (nb. DVI>HDMI was v.problematic) +
MX Light

This allows me to record the output of the GFX card at 1920x1080p @ 60Hz on the same machine with a CPU overhead of about 2-4%. The H264 Pro-Recorder records at upto 30Mbps h264/aac, which although compressed is enough for my purposes (tutorial videos).

In fact, I wrote MX Light initially to solve just this problem.

MX Light is currently windows only, so for recording linux/mac desktop output you would need to run MX Light in a VM or use a second machine. nb. You dont need a powerful machine to record with, as the encoding is done in hardware & the data rate is low enough for normal/cheap hard drives.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]