FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt Shuttle not working -- mini-HDMI on camera the culprit?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerel Peterson
Thunderbolt Shuttle not working -- mini-HDMI on camera the culprit?
on Jul 30, 2012 at 4:24:34 pm

So, after about 10 Windows computers that wouldn't work with the USB 3 Shuttle, I bought a Thunderbolt shuttle and borrowed a MacBook Pro.

Same results--component works, HDMI doesn't. I tried 3 different HDMI cables, and I hooked one cable from my camera to the TV and got a feed--so the cable must be ok.

Called BM tech support and talked to a guy who said they've had several people using cameras with the mini-HDMI port that won't work. Full-sized ports seem to work better, according to him.

So, those of you who haven't gotten the USB 3 version working, were you using a camera with a mini-HDMI connector?

What consumer-level cameras have the full-sized HDMI connector? This is a school, we just record sporting events, etc. We currently have a Sony HDR CX560, which cost around $800 or so. We don't need anything better than that, except for possibly something with the full-sized connector.

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
Re: Thunderbolt Shuttle not working -- mini-HDMI on camera the culprit?
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:45:04 am

I took the Shuttle and an HP laptop to Best Buy and asked them if I could hook up to some of their cameras to see if I could find one that would work. None of them had the full-sized HDMI port, but I hooked up to three different Sony camcorders, and every one worked right away!

My camera (the one that never worked) was a Sony CX560V. Yet a CX580V (very similar) did work, as did one camera that cost about $300.

So, after almost a year of trial and error, it ends up that it's not the Shuttle (although BM had me send it in and found it to be defective, the replacement didn't work, either), or the USB 3 chipset on the approximately dozen new computers I tried. It was the camera all along. It was only a year old, so I don't know what design change they might have made so that the newer ones work. Maybe the HDMI port on my camera was defective (although it DID work going HDMI out to a TV).

Finally-- I'll be able to do a webcast with a decent camera instead of my old firewire model.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]