FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scarlet and Ultrastudio 3D?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Farnsworth
Scarlet and Ultrastudio 3D?
on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:03:50 pm

Has anyone here had success capturing RED Scarlet footage through the Ultrastudio 3D? I'm not using it for 3D on this shoot, but I can't seem to get Media Express to recognize any of the camera's outputs at 1080p. Any advice is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Martin Smith
Re: Scarlet and Ultrastudio 3D?
on Jul 19, 2012 at 3:05:17 am

Works great via SDI. Not sure about HDMI.

Return to posts index

Peter Farnsworth
on Jul 19, 2012 at 3:06:55 am

Really? I'm trying to use it with an HD-SDI cable, and I can't get any of the settings to match up. What have you found works for you?

Return to posts index

Martin Smith
on Jul 19, 2012 at 5:57:02 am

1080p 23.976 setting via SDI works like a charm. Using driver 9.6.

Return to posts index

Peter Farnsworth
on Jul 19, 2012 at 6:53:32 pm

Okay, so on the Scarlet I should set it to 1080P 24/23.976 for monitor out HD-SDI, and then what do you use on the blackmagic? 1080P 24? 1080P 23.976?

Thanks again for your help. I'm really looking to making this work.

Return to posts index

Martin Smith
on Jul 19, 2012 at 7:49:46 pm

When I come back home I will plug everything and document the situation for you. All I can say is that via SDI it always worked.. I'm currently on the beta firmware V3.3.3 which enables "look around" and it's amazing because when you capture with LA on you drop the crop factor to 1.3. A 50mm becomes around 65mm instead of 85mm

Return to posts index

Peter Farnsworth
on Jul 20, 2012 at 3:33:44 pm

Yes! Thank you for the help Martin. Really looking forward to your results. BTW I was looking on RED's website and downloaded their "newest" user guide, which happened to be for firmware 3.2.19. Maybe that's why I couldn't find my answer.

Return to posts index

Martin Smith
on Jul 22, 2012 at 3:26:07 am

I connected everything and it works very good.

All settings below:

----------------------------------------------------------

SCARLET with beta firmware 3.3.3

SETTINGS/AUDIO VIDEO/MONITOR CONTROL/BRAIN HD-SDI = Resolution: 1080p | Frequency: 23.98

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BMD DESKTOP VIDEO 9.6:

Set Input to: SDI & HDMI & COMPONENT

make sure to check:

*Use 1080p not 1080PsF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BMD MEDIA EXPRESS:

Project Video Format = HD 1080p 23.98

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It should works just fine. I found that the capture via Ultrastudio 3D is higher quality than converting R3Ds using REDCINEX.

See my test image below:

channels.jpg

Also a VERY cool new feature in the beta 3.3.3 is the "Look around" feature. When enabled we get the full FOV of the sensor with a crop factor of 1.3 instead of 1.6 so a 50mm is around 65mm instead of 85mm. When recording using external recorder like the ultra studio or other devices it gives us more flexibility at 1080p.

I hope this helps you!

Return to posts index

Peter Farnsworth
on Aug 1, 2012 at 12:14:28 am

That's awesome. Really interesting to see that the transcode is of higher quality from the ultrastudio! I'm in the process of trying to convince a producer that the transcode from the ultrastudio is just as usable and more cost effective that using a redrocket...

And thank you for the tip about the P, not PsF. That was the key that I was missing, and I had skimmed over that setting, thinking that it was only relevant for output.

Return to posts index

Martin Smith
on Aug 1, 2012 at 1:23:55 am

Just to make sure, the Ultrastudio is not transcoding but capturing a live feed from the HD-SDI.

You can playback pre-recorded footage from the camera and capture the output but the debayer is not very good in playback mode and exhibits aliasing. When capturing a live feed (not in playback mode) my tests show a very nice debayer. VERY close to full debayer quality.

Return to posts index

Peter Farnsworth
on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:31:45 am

Oh okay, my mistake. I'm new to this, but using it on set for mostly playback functions. But since our editor is on such a strict deadline, I figured that I could give him captures of the live feed from the camera. If it is merely for editing purposes, does it matter whether he uses transcoded footage or the files I am creating if they all have the same timecode?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]