FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I not view 1080p23.98 footage on a playback monitor in Premiere CS6 without using the Blackmagic Codec at 59.94i????!!!

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Joslin
Can I not view 1080p23.98 footage on a playback monitor in Premiere CS6 without using the Blackmagic Codec at 59.94i????!!!
on Jul 17, 2012 at 9:27:30 pm

Hello all -
So I pretty much summed up my question in the subject.

As an editor who is finally accepting the fact that FCP7 is on its way out, I have been toying around with Premiere and have discovered how easy a transition it is. Hooray!

But I've been having problems with Video Playback. I want to edit an Apple ProRes 422(HQ) sequence at 23.98 - so I have built a custom preset for that. When I go to Playback in preferences and check the Blackmagic Device boxes, nothing happens.

I've been on the phone with BM all day. The customer support guy, who is reeeally irritating, told me that I must edit within the Blackmagic Preset, 59.94i, at 29.97 - essentially meaning that if I want to monitor video in Premiere I have transcode everything to those specs. However a sales guy told me that CS 6 fixed that issue, and that I should be able to get playback within any preset. I've tried that and nothing is happening.

I know it's not a monitor issue, as I've used this HDTV with the Intensity Pro and FCP7 many times and gotten great results.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Can I not view 1080p23.98 footage on a playback monitor in Premiere CS6 without using the Blackmagic Codec at 59.94i????!!!
on Jul 18, 2012 at 1:04:20 am

I can try it on my intensity extreme and cs6. Pretty sure I've tested with 24p dslr footage and had my monitor report 24p playback. Will try to check later tonight.

Return to posts index

Chris Joslin
Re: Can I not view 1080p23.98 footage on a playback monitor in Premiere CS6 without using the Blackmagic Codec at 59.94i????!!!
on Jul 18, 2012 at 1:15:50 am

That would be awesome. And if you dont mind telling me your settings / how you got there that would also be awesome. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 18, 2012 at 6:05:01 am

You've probably gotten some setting wacky. I'm not a CS6 expert by any means. But I'm in the same position. I've been toying with it, and I've been throwing some 24p 5D footage into it and working in a 24p sequence just fine. My monitor reports back that the video freq is 24p as well, so my intensity extreme is definitely outputting. This is the 9.5.1 driver. You said a ProRes 422HQ sequence. Sequences don't really have codecs in CS6 from my understanding. Just like FCPX. They have a render codec, but I think I'd just leave that alone for performance sake. Mine is some sort of mpeg. When you're done, the whole thing gets exported and rerendered from scratch to whatever codec you then choose. FCP X is more efficient at this as it uses rendered sections as a resource for output and doesn't need to serenader them.

Anyway my settings follow...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 18, 2012 at 6:14:24 am

Also, as I understand it, you don't really need any sort of special sequence presets. The demo I saw of CS6 mentioned this. For example just pick any sequence setting, then drag a clip with the properties you like into it and it'll ask if you want to make your sequence match. All it matches is frame rate, fields, and frame size. Like X, that's all that matters pretty much. The sequence doesn't control playback anymore, the video playback general settings do. And as long as blackmagic is set as the video playback you should be good.

I'm actually confused by the audio. I don't mess with that and leave it on adobe and it seems to work. I'm confused about audio in X too. It seems that I have to put my system sound on the blackmagic output before I get any sound, whereas with my old matrox the two were totally separate.

So maybe I have my system sound set to blackmagic for X, and just Adobe playing out the system which is blackmagic.

Damn, Blackmagic sure is the right name for the company.

Return to posts index

Marcus Smith
on Jul 18, 2012 at 12:24:12 pm

Hi Bret,

We've been using 23.976 playback fine on the blackmagic decklink.

Sound sometimes goes out of sync, but it does work. Just. ;)

Return to posts index

Chris Joslin
on Jul 18, 2012 at 12:48:20 pm

Thanks for this. When I get into work I'll match your settings and try to get some playback to my HDTV. However, I have already messed around with different presets and sequence settings but still could get playback. For example I used the xdcam preset (we edit a lot of xdcam), left everything the same and simply chose Blackmagic as my playback and nothing happened.

Here are my specs btw:
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
Blackmagic Desktop Drivers 9.5.3
Premiere Pro CS6

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Joslin
on Jul 18, 2012 at 2:09:51 pm

Yep, still nothing. I copied your settings exactly and I'm still not getting any playback on my HDTV. This is quite a mystery. Again, I seriously doubt that it has something to do with the TV (a 50 inch Vizio) because I've been using it perfectly with FCP7. Any other hints?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 18, 2012 at 2:41:34 pm

That's the thing- there aren't any settings to choose. Just drag a clip into a new timeline of any choice and let Ppro match the settings. Just have to choose BM as your player in PPro playback settings. I'm using a Vizio too and it receives 24p fine over HDMI or Component. Maybe you have a defective box? Maybe you're supposed to be running Lion? 9.5.3 might even require it.

Return to posts index

Chris Joslin
on Jul 18, 2012 at 3:13:45 pm

Right, I understand that. That's just what I'm doing. That's why I don't get why I'm having problems. And 9.5.3 is the last driver made for Snow Leopard. Sigh. Whatever will I do?

Return to posts index

Ray Tragesser
on Jul 18, 2012 at 7:57:35 pm

Hi Guys,

I would start from scratch after a reboot to make sure everything is ready to go. I work daily with 23.976 1080p footage and the Blackmagic card. I would suspect either your monitor is not capable of displaying true 23.976 or you have a setting that needs to be adjusted. To confirm that everything is working as expected I would do the following, this will eliminate the footage variable.

1) Make a new project

2) Create a new sequence - Confirm your settings.

3) Right click in the project panel and make a new clip of bars and tone

4) Confirm the bars and tone settings

5) Confirm your Sequence settings one more time

6) Go to Premiere Pro Preferences>Playback and make sure Blackmagic Playback is selected

7) Go to the Mac system preferences and the Blackmagic control panel and verify your settings

If your monitor is capable of working at this framerate and resolution, you should be able to play the bars and tone. If not then you need to verify your cabling and also that your monitor is capable. Many Final Cut guys and gals dont realize that Final Cut was doing a conversion at the software level to allow some monitors to playback footage that otherwise would have been impossible. Shane Ross wrote an excellent article on how Final Cut does this :
http://lfhd.net/2012/05/09/video-out-of-ppro-cs6-switching-monitoring-forma...

Please let us know how it works out.
Thanks Ray

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:21:08 pm

FCP was able to do something. I used to edit 24p HD footage in a 24p DVCProHD seq using a 4:3 monitor hooked up to my DVCam deck. FCP was able to send the DV deck a 29.97 signal down converted to DV. It was a rough downsample but anamorphic to the monitor it was pretty decent. We'd output a DVCProHD file, and drop the sequence into an anamorphic DVCam sequence too and output to tape too. All on a 2006 MacPro. The deck certainly wasn't converting anything. Had to be software. But Premiere just passes on the seq settings straight to BM, which sets itself accordingly unless you have some sort of output process turned on.

If you set the output processing to some sort of 29.97 flavor, either SD or HD, and the monitor works, then I'd say it's probably the monitor.

If you can flip back to FCP and output a 24p sequence successfully, then switch over to menu on the vizio, and find "setup" then find "system info" and the video frequency will be reported there. If you see 60 then it's 29.97i (or 720p60) and if you see 24 then it's 23.98p.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]