FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic Design Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Hellen
Black Magic Design Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt
on Jul 14, 2012 at 12:53:04 pm

Ok so here is my problem. I am wanting to record my iPad (3rd Gen) screen via my intensity shuttle (thunderbolt). I have seen countless video tutorials and text tutorials on how to do this and what settings to use but so far none have worked. I have tried every setting and had nothing. The only thing to work currently is my xbox 360. My PS3 does not even work through component connections, is this just a hardware or software fault or is there something I'm missing? It works for others but not me, I have the latest software and firmware from BMD's website.
All my HDMI and component cables work fine with other devices and the iPad even outputs to my TV just not through the shuttle. I understand this rubbish with the HDCP but in all honesty if you can record via component with no problems then whats the difference with HDMI? This is really impacting my career as an app reviewer and airplay is just not an option as it is too stuttery and glitchy when recording.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Return to posts index

Shaun Roemich
Re: Black Magic Design Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt
on Jul 14, 2012 at 4:03:40 pm

Actually, you DON'T understand the "nonsense about HDCP" if you don't understand the difference between recording from component and hdmi. Component doesn't (and can't...) carry HDCP, which is specific to hdmi.

Your problem as you explain it APPEARS to have nothing to do with HDCP to me. It seems to be more of a frame rate, resolution or software/hardware failing.

Big Dog - Technical Director - Switcher
Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC Canada
roaddogmedia@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Mark Hellen
on Jul 14, 2012 at 4:14:03 pm

thanks for the snotty reply. I DONT understand. MY POINT was why block HDMI from being recorded when you can via component anyway? same video, same content, different connection. I know HDCP is not carried on component and I never said it did cheers. People on all types of forums are having similar problems and all they get sarcastic replies that DONT help. Any how my problems are now resolved thankyou.

have yourself a nice day

Return to posts index

Shaun Roemich
on Jul 14, 2012 at 5:12:01 pm

Why block it? Because consumer devices like Blu-Ray players and DVD players are commonplace and HDMI was "sold" as a simple, one cable, high quality digital connection for the masses. Multiples of one type of connector on your TV instead of various S-Video, composite, component blah blah blah...

Then the Big Guys decided that the possibility of people making high quality copies was so great, they needed to CRIPPLE the pipeline by forcing a ridiculous negotiation to ensure the downstream device was not a record-enable device before passing the signal.

Now, I don't know if you've tried to buy a Blu-Ray player in recent history that has component... I have and I CAN'T. I need one for multi-camera live switched scenarios where I AM displaying my own (or my client's own) content. HDMI won't pass the signal as the downstream device CAN'T send a "I'm ONLY a display" communication.

Anyway...

The powers that be RUINED a perfectly good signal chain of uncompressed digital video (and audio) signal.

BUT...

That has nothing to do with your issue, which I pointed out.

Actually, I DID share some wisdom by pointing out that your issue WASN'T HDCP related and gave you three places to look instead: resolution, frame rate and hardware/software.

SInce I don't recall getting a pay cheque, I'm pretty sure I pointed out what it WASN'T and helped narrow down what it WAS...

Not bad for free, don't you think? The Genius Bar probably wouldn't have given you any better advice...

Sarcastic? Yes.

Snotty? Maybe. Just like your response.

And I shall have a good day.

BTW, what did the issue turn out to be?

Share with the class.

Big Dog - Technical Director - Switcher
Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC Canada
roaddogmedia@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Mark Hellen
on Jul 14, 2012 at 7:45:14 pm

ok, but my point is if you can't record content via HDMI because of this amazing big guy idea of HDCP why bother with it if in most cases you can use component connections. for example PS3 vs Xbox, the xbox only has HDCP enabled on movie content and the odd game, on the other hand PS3 has HDCP enabled across the board so you cannot record anything unless you use component.
So yes have HDCP on bluray and movies content such as apple TV or movie content on consoles but not on gaming which is kind of my main reason for the shuttle purchase. I want to record my iPad but the connection seems to be temperamental via the shuttle, it works direct to the TV every time but not every time via the shuttle. Then there was the flickering/frame drop out which I resolved by moving my shuttle away from other electrical items in my studio and that resolved that issue.

Cheers for the heads up, sorry you got caught in my line of fire, heated moments don't do anyone any good. All the stress of using a HD PVR easily, to moving over to the shuttle and so many complications such as the HDCP

Return to posts index

Afsheen Aziz
on Jul 17, 2012 at 7:06:48 pm

aah facing the same problem.. give solution please

Return to posts index

Andre Augustin
on Jul 18, 2012 at 1:06:13 am

Give this a try. I have been using it a few months now while I broadcast from a few tournaments that use PS3.
http://www.amazon.com/YPbPr-Component-Video-Converter-Projector/dp/B004VV8Q...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]