FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrastudio SDI - Working?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bo Skelmose
Ultrastudio SDI - Working?
on Jul 12, 2012 at 10:59:49 am

Hi
Anyone having this working without problems on a PC with Premiere CS5, 5.5 or 6 ?

Need to hear just a little positive before I order one.
Bo

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
Re: Ultrastudio SDI - Working?
on Jul 13, 2012 at 5:26:14 am

I was also curious if anyone can comment on the Ultrastudio SDI. Does it work well (I assume it would). I was looking to get one for a Resolve setup.

I was actually wondering about the formats it will output. Can you output different formats from the HDMI and the SDI ports? I know our Plasma will only read 1080p over HDMI but our SDI CRT monitor expects 1080PsF.

Can I set that up somehow? I can't find a manual for the Ultrastudio so I was just curious how you can setup the outputs on the device.

Also what are people doing for audio? Just buying the Blackmagic SDI to Analog converter? I wanted to hook up my studio speakers (XLR or 1/4" cable) somehow as well.

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 16, 2012 at 11:34:34 pm

The Ultrastudio SDI does not typically work in two different modes. So if you are editing in 23.98p then your SDI and HDMI will be in P. However. If you are specifically working in PsF, then your SDI output in this case would be PsF and your HDMI output would be P (HDMI does not support PsF).

In order for this to happen you would need to have the BMD control panel set to work in PsF (no checkbox).

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jul 17, 2012 at 8:51:52 am

Thanks for the reply. So HDMI can only send a true 'P' signal?

So just to clarify. If I set Davinci Resolve to work in 1080/23.98Psf I will get PsF from the SDI port? But the HDMI will always be sending a true 'P' signal? So with that setup I can get a PsF on the SDI and a P on the HDMI? Is there no user manual for the Ultrastudio? Sounds like the settings are just pretty basic. Just the application settings and also the Blackmagic control panel?

I thought I tried to do something similar with a Decklink Studio card and my CRT was getting 23.98 PsF but the plasma didn't like the signal coming from the HDMI (Which I thought was PsF as well.. which the monitor didn't support over HDMI).

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 17, 2012 at 10:01:58 pm

There's no spec for PsF in HDMI or DVI, so it's always progressive while the board is in PsF mode. So yes, if you set Resolve to be PsF the output of the Ultrastudio SDI should be native P (we buffer a field and send it out progressive). Should be the same for Decklink Studio too FWIW.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jul 17, 2012 at 11:10:02 pm

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the email. Maybe I have a bad Decklink Studio 2 card? Can you help me see if it might be?

I have a Sony CRT hooked up to the component output of the Decklink and I have my Panasonic Plasma hooked up to the HDMI output. Normally I run Resolve in 1080PsF/23.98 mode. In that mode the Sony is getting a good image, but the Panasonic is blank. If I switch Resolve over to 1080p/23.98 the Sony freaks out (It doesn't like a true P signal) but then the Panasonic gets a great image.

The only way I can get both to work is if I run the component out of the Sony and run that into the Panasonic (it will read PsF over component, but not over HDMI).

It seems to me that the Decklink is trying to send PsF over HDMI when Resolve is in PsF mode. I checked the Desktop video settings in the Windows control panel and the checkbox is not checked (to run in 1080p mode, if this control panel even matters when I'm in Resolve). Although I did try it with it checked and with it not checked.

Any ideas why I can't send PsF to my Sony over Component and also use the HDMI out for my Panasonic Plasma at the same time?

thank you,
Peter

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:50:46 pm

That is certainly odd behavior. We wouldn't expect that to be the case. Can you do me a favor and try the same setup in Media Express? It should be a quick test, just take a 23.98PsF clip and put it in there. I want to make sure that Resolve isn't doing something to adjust the output.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jul 18, 2012 at 7:58:59 pm

Hi Joshua,

I just did the same test in Media Express. I set the Media Express prefrences to 1080p 23.98 and imported a 1080p 23.98 clip.

I can only get playback on one of my monitors at a time (either the Sony CRT via Component or the Panasonic Plasma via HDMI). If I go into the Backmagic Control Panel and check to use 1080p then the Plasma over HDMI works but not the Sony CRT. If I clear the checkbox (so it uses 1080PsF) then the Sony works but the Plasma goes blank.

Can you help me figure out what is happening?

Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jul 24, 2012 at 6:33:36 pm

Hi Joshua,

Can you help me figure out what is happening with this Decklink card?

I was able to try a UltraStudio SDI yesterday and it seems to behave like you descibe. When resolve is set to 1080PsF/23.98 and I hook up the Plasma to the HDMI out, it gets picture. So I can get picture to both monitors.

Does this mean the DeckLink Studio 2 is defective or has a problem with it? Shouldn't I be able to get output to my 1080PsF CRT and my 1080P Plasma?

thanks,
Peter Berg

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:04:18 pm

Interesting...so the Decklink Studio 2 doesn't behave this way but hte Ultrastudio SDI does. Let me have one of my techs test this out.

Just to confirm, because the Studio 2 has split output, you are using the SDI on the back of the board and NOT the break out cable correct?

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:48:12 pm

Thanks Joshua.

I am using HDMI output for the Plasma and the Analog Component for the CRT monitor (which comes off the breakout cable). Actually not using the SDI output in this current configuration.

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Sarah Jones
on Jul 26, 2012 at 5:40:35 pm

Hi Peter,

Joshua had me test out a few setups with the DeckLink Studio 2 card and our other capture/playback devices. It looks like devices like our UltraStudio products and the DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+ are able to simultaneously output a 1080PsF23.98 signal over the SDI output and a 1080p23.98 signal over the HDMI output, but the DeckLink Studio 2 behaves as you report. We've logged this and will work toward a resolution as quickly as possible.

Sarah
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jul 26, 2012 at 5:58:07 pm

Thank you for looking into this Sarah.

Is this something that could be addressed in a new driver release or is there another way it could be addressed? I was hoping with this card I would be able to use my Panasonic Plasma and my Sony HD CRT (using analog component) at the same time.

Would be great if the Decklink Studio card could do that.

thanks again,
Peter

Return to posts index

Sarah Jones
on Jul 26, 2012 at 6:09:37 pm

Hi Peter,

As this has just been logged, I don't have any indication on how the issue can best be addressed. That said, in all likelihood we'll probably be looking at a driver update for the issue. We certainly appreciate your patience, and we'll work to get a fix as soon as possible.

Sarah
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 26, 2012 at 11:27:09 pm

To follow up on Sarah's post.

I'm willing to bet this can be addressed Via software update (I don't see why it couldn't be). But it's the time frame that we are more uncertain of at this time. We'll keep an eye on the bug to see any movement.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jul 26, 2012 at 11:31:59 pm

Thanks again for helping me through this one. It's good to know that I'm not going crazy. Was just weird that the behavior on the Studio card seemed to be different than on the Extreme 3D card and the UltraStudio SDI.

I'll keep checking back to see if the behavior of the Studio card can be fixed to work for my situation.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Oct 18, 2012 at 6:00:16 pm

Hello Sarah and Joshua,

I wanted to follow up on this bug that you guys found with the Decklink Studio 2 card. In that I can't get video out to my Plasma (via HDMI) and my HD-CRT monitor (via Component) at the same time. I was on version 9.5.3 at the time and have updated to the newer versions of the software (I just tried 9.6.5). This is still a problem. Is this something that can be fixed? If not, the Studio card will not work for me at all.

Can you please let me know the status of this bug?

thanks so much,
Peter Berg

Return to posts index

Sarah Jones
on Oct 18, 2012 at 7:47:08 pm

Hi Peter,

This issue is still in engineering, and unfortunately I don't have any additional information on the status of where things stand. I do know a resolution has not been made at this time, but I have no information beyond this. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regards,

Sarah
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:23:38 am

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for the quick response. I wasn't sure if you guys forgot about this one. I hope you can let them know that it's still a big issue and makes the Studio 2 card not nearly as multi-functional as it seems like it should be.

I usually try to check the readme files for the new updates.. will the fix be listed there when the are able to address this problem?

I do hope this can be addressed soon. It's not just a minor annoyance but it stops us from being able to use this card at all.

Thank you again for the quick reply.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Sarah Jones
on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:27:28 am

Hi Peter,

I couldn't say if this would be specifically listed in the Readme file. Not all fixes are outright listed and sometimes get bundled under a general improvements type description. I'll try to keep an eye on this one and if it doesn't get specifically listed I'll try to post here.

Regards,

Sarah
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 26, 2012 at 11:28:05 pm

Bleh, we've tested SDI...I think the issue is that on our newer board we do actually support 24p over component.

We'll test this config as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Hans Bremer
on Sep 28, 2012 at 8:40:25 am

Hey guys,

I am about to set up a system with Ultra Studio SDI and the video monitoring works fine so far.
But I want to monitor the audio via the line output and not through any additional device which would have to be attached to the Ultra Studio where it gets the embedded audio.
But when I set the audio in Premiere Pro to not be passed to the Ultra Studio I cant hear anything with my headphones or built in speakers.

Has anyone made similar experiences or has anyone an advice on what to do about it?

Hans

Return to posts index

Hans Bremer
on Oct 5, 2012 at 10:20:54 am

Ok I got told its not possible to get audio seperately monitored when using BMD UltraSudio SDI. Had an Intensity card here which is doing the job now while allowing what I wanted.

Return to posts index

Luke Livingston
on Jan 10, 2013 at 10:24:40 pm

I have the same issue with no (easy) way to monitor live audio thru the Windows apps that are capturing via the USB 3.0 port on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I spent an afternoon messing with my audio device settings in Windows, but no luck. In Livestream you can go to the audio mixer and click on the "headset audio" button and hear the live audio. But, that's ONLY in Livestream. Does not offer live audio thru the Media Express app, although it shows VU's pumping and records fine. (frustrating) If they can add an "audio record device" that installs in Windows, that would fix it. Maybe a mini jack audio out on the box for Ch 1&2 monitoring?

The Ultrastudio SDI is an EXCELLENT tool for simple ingest of HD SDI A/V for Livestream because it's "certified" by Livestream. You can stream and capture H.264 proxies while you're recording HD on camera cards. If you want to encode higher than 3000kbps then you'll need more processing speed than an i7 laptop. A desktop with a multi-port 3.0 card and a raid drive.

Ground Floor Video - Atlanta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]