FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM 1 M/E Does Dual Picture in Picture (Side by Side)?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Pearson
ATEM 1 M/E Does Dual Picture in Picture (Side by Side)?
on Jul 8, 2012 at 3:15:49 am

In the ATEM manual it states:

"The ATEM 1 M/E and 2 M/E Production Switchers have 1 channel of 2D DVE that allows scaling, rotation, 3D borders and offers a drop shadow."

Does that mean it can only do 1 picture in picture, and not side by side?

I ask because on the ATEM product page it clearly shows an orange background with 2 scaled side by side camera shots (close up of helmet on left, and cars on right).

Which is it?

Return to posts index

Maciej Pawlowski
Re: ATEM 1 M/E Does Dual Picture in Picture (Side by Side)?
on Jul 8, 2012 at 8:36:18 am

In the future, Atem 2 will have function "SuperSource", which allows it.
Today, this picture is a fake :)
SuperSource will be only for Atem 2, not Atem 1

from BDM:
"SuperSource Multi-layering
Add multi-box compositions quickly and easily with ATEM SuperSource! Available on the 2 M/E Production Switcher model, you get a completely separate 5 layer switcher with the power of 4 picture in picture DVEs and 4 keyers connected as an ATEM video input! Position, resize and key up to 4 video sources to create compositions that would normally require a multi M/E switcher! Use SuperSource for multi camera interviews or picture in picture production while leaving all your M/Es, keyers and DVE completely free for other tasks. SuperSource compositions can also be quickly saved and recalled in an instant!
"

Best Regards
Maciej vib Pawlowski

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:38:30 pm

I understand that Supersource is (will be) a way to pre-set a collection of keys and sources and assign it to an input button, and it includes (or will include) 4 DVE's to do 4x PiP.

All I really need is a second DVE to do a side by side interview with remote guests. While supersource sounds amazing, I'd be fine with just a second DVE.

Return to posts index

Justin Strauber
on Jul 10, 2012 at 1:48:52 am

A 'cheat' way to do it with a single DVE is to have a graphic overlay with a 'hole' to put over your studio cam, and then use the DVE for the remote shot. You'd need to have your camera panned over for the hole, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

So, you'd have your camera as the PGM layer, USKey 1 would be your graphic with the alpha'd hole in it, and then USKey 2 would be your DVE camera. Or something like that, I don't remember which order the upstream keys go in as far as top to bottom layers. You could have two holes in your graphic and fit the camera on one side and the DVE on the other, just to ensure the same size for both.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]