FORUMS: list search recent posts

In 2012, only interlaced monitor preview in Premiere CS6 with decklink?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milan Michalik
In 2012, only interlaced monitor preview in Premiere CS6 with decklink?
on Jul 4, 2012 at 3:50:31 pm

Just after I installed Premiere CS6 and the new Decklink Desktop Video 9.5.3 (win7) I saw, there are finally 1080p 25fps presets for my Decklink Studio 2 card. I thought I will jump 5 meters how lucky I was, just because I am not working with interlaced footage anymore for maybe 7 years. I was lucky till I tested it. If I set Blackmagic progressive timeline, I have no monitor preview. If I set interlaced Blackmagic timeline, it works. Actually, all interlaced timelines work and all progressive don´t work.

And no, there is no way how to cheat that, just because in interlaced timeline all the dissolves, speedwarps etc. are rendered interlaced also on progressive footage.

And ... I tested the same card in Mac FCP 7, there was no problem with progressive 1080p 25fps timeline preview.

Here is a piece of my "me-to-client" conversation during the editing session on Premiere with RED camera footage.

Client: Why is the speedwarp so weird?
Me: Well, it´s interlaced.
Client: Oh!
Me: But I can switch the big monitor off and you can watch the edit on this small window on my monitor, it will be progressive then.
Client: Oh!

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: In 2012, only interlaced monitor preview in Premiere CS6 with decklink?
on Jul 5, 2012 at 12:59:57 am

Hi Milan,

1080p25/29.97/30 should work correctly with Premiere CS6 and the Decklink Studio. However many monitors do not support 1080p25/29.97/30 and sometimes not 1080p23.98/24. Please do check your monitor's specifications for support of these formats.

Final Cut Pro on the other hand does not support 1080p25/29.97/30 output. Only 1080i50/59.94/60 and 1080p23.98/24 with the Decklink Studio.

If you do continue to have problems however, please do feel free to contact support either using the support numbers on the following page

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/company/

or by using the support request form on the Decklink Studio section of the support pages on the website

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Milan Michalik
on Jul 5, 2012 at 2:31:23 pm

I don´t agree wirh you. I will send you a support request as well, but here are my findings.

My card is Decklink HD Extreme 2 (it was previously listed as a Studio 2, but I am not sure now).

I measured, what is comming out from the card with Blackmagic HD1080 25fps interlaced Premiere CS6 timeline. It´s 1080 50i.
I measured, what is comming out from the card with Blackmagic HD1080 25fps progressive Premiere CS6 timeline. It´s NOTHING.

Resolve shows HD 1080 25fps through 25PsF (progressive segmented fields 1080i). I don´t agree with you, that FCP doesn´t support 1080p 25fps. It does, in the same way as Resolve. When FCP timeline is progressive, then the Decklink preview is 25PsF - 1080i.
So we can use 1080i monitors to preview our work. TV broadcast is also always 1080i even they show a progressive scan film. I don´t know if a 1080p 25fps monitor even exists??? Probably not.

So again the same question. On the same Decklink card, why Resolve (tested on PC) and FinalCut 7 (tested on Mac) can play progressive HD1080 25fps timeline through 25PsF(1080i) and Premiere CS6 (tested on PC) doesn´t?

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Jul 6, 2012 at 12:44:18 am

Hi Milan,

If the card is an HD Extreme 2 I'm afraid that it won't output 1080p25 because the hardware does not support this format. This format was only added in subsequent hardware such as the DeckLink HD Extreme 3 and the DeckLink Studio.

Monitors that support this format are less rare than they used to be, but it's still not a format all monitors support. For example none of the consumer TVs we have in the office support these mid-p formats, but our SmartView Duo and HD monitors, as well as some high end monitors do support them.

Resolve and FCP will output in 1080i simply because they aren't receiving a true 25p video stream from software. There are no 1080p25 output settings in FCP because support for FCP predates our support for mid-p formats. And because PsF is effectively the same kind of signal as interlaced it seems the HD Extreme 2 can output this as interlaced from Resolve.

Premiere CS6 is however sending a true progressive signal to the card, and because the HD Extreme 2 is much older hardware it doesn't understand the format. Current cards such as the DeckLink Studio and the DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+ give you the option to output a progressive signal like this either as true progressive or as PsF.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Milan Michalik
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:48:38 am

o.k., thank you, so now I understand. I need a newer card.

Maybe also other users can learn something from this topics, so I would like to kindly ask you to write us (PAL users), what are the monitoring solutions (cards) from Blackmagic for this:

Premiere CS6
Blackmagic or any other progressive timeline 1080p 25fps
1080i 50i monitoring

Please don't include 25p monitor solutions, just because I really don't want to spend XXX.XXX EUR for a new expensive professional monitor for a 500 EUR Premiere and a 300-800 EUR card.

Thank you very much and crossing fingers for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera ! I am going buy one. Great product !!!

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Jul 9, 2012 at 12:37:46 am

Hi Milan,

All of our current DeckLink, Intensity and UltraStudio devices support Premiere Pro CS6. All of these will handle 1080p25. The DeckLink and UltraStudio lines will allow you to switch between p and PsF output when using a progressive project in Premiere. The Intensity range however doesn't support PsF because it's not a native HDMI format.

The closest cards to the HD Extreme 2 are the DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+ or the DeckLink Studio. But I would of course make sure that the monitor you have will support true 1080PsF25. I imagine it would, but it's always best to be sure.

And I hope you enjoy using the Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

françois Zaidi
on Feb 26, 2014 at 1:19:47 pm

Hello

I digging up this post because I have the exact same issue, but with a brand new decklink monitor.
Works great interlaced, but with any progressive timeline, there is no output !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]