FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing 3D footage

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Grainger
Capturing 3D footage
on Jul 4, 2012 at 10:11:24 am

If I wanted to capture 3D footage from a Sony (e.g. HXR-NX3D) or JVC 3D camera that sends the frame packing signal down the HDMI cable, could I capture this with the BMD Ultrastudio 3D?

Would the capture software automatically detect each clip and split it up, or would it record one long clip?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: Capturing 3D footage
on Jul 5, 2012 at 1:21:05 am

Hi Alex,

Using the UltraStudio 3D you can indeed capture a frame packed signal over HDMI into two separate clips using the 3D project settings in Media Express. This is possible with both full frame-packing as well as the half-frame 3D formats, top and bottom, side by side and interleaved.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Alex Grainger
on Jul 5, 2012 at 12:55:28 pm

Thanks, but I am also interested to know not just if it can split the clips into Left and Right clips, but also if you have 100 clips on the camera and capture in Media Express via HDMI, does it record this as one long clip or is it clever enough to split it into 100 separate clips?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Jul 6, 2012 at 12:51:13 am

Hi Alex,

I'm afraid Media Express would have no way of capturing like this because there's nothing in the HDMI signal to indicate the beginning and end of clips. So if you hit record it will keep recording until you stop it manually. If you are recording from directly from a camera you would have to manually capture each clip, or use NLE software such as Premiere Pro to split the clip after capture.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

André Austvoll
on Aug 10, 2012 at 12:47:51 pm

Did anybody actually capture frame packaged footage from the HXR-NX3D1 through HDMI? I get it to work with side by side but when I switch to frame packaged the Media Express screen simply goes black.

Return to posts index

Afsheen Aziz
on Jul 17, 2012 at 7:43:46 pm

i dont know
but u can obviously search for it

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]