FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building a broadcasting studio using ATEM TV Studio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Uriarte
Building a broadcasting studio using ATEM TV Studio
on Jul 4, 2012 at 4:03:13 am

I feel that I am a bit out of my comfort zone with building and ordering all the components needed to upgrade my current broadcasting system. Here is what I plan on doing. Please let me know if this is correct, what's wrong with it?, do I need to add anyting? ect.

Black Magic Broadcasting Plan

Camera 1 – Canon XL 2 – BNC video in/out, s-video in/out,
Camera 2 – Canon GL 2 – s-video, small pin for yellow RCA cable

2 Cables from Cameras to ATEM TV Studio - s-video from camera, bnc to converter

2 Mini Converter Analog to SDI $295

2 Cables from Analog to SDI converter to ATEM TV Studio – BNC from converter, BNC to ATEM TV Studio

iMac 1 – FCPX installed and used to show videos that are pre-produced. File types: .dv, .mov, .avi. Thunderbolt cable used to connect Intensity Extreme, used to run video pre-produced. HDMI cable coming out of Intensity Extreme and connected to ATEM TV Studio.

iMac 2 – ATEM Software installed and used as the switcher.

ATEM TV Studio – BNC cable out to SDI to Analog converter. BNC cable out from converter, yellow RCA cable to Ch.1 box. HDMI cable going out to Multi-View TV screen.

Ch.1 box, boosts signal, coaxial cable out to all TV’s in the school. Audio comes in from soundboard, RCA red/white.

Not sure if I should run Audio, lavalier wireless mics, into the ATEM TV Studio.

4356_blackmagic.pptx.zip

John Uriarte

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Building a broadcasting studio using ATEM TV Studio
on Jul 5, 2012 at 1:37:34 am

1) Why are you using a HD digital switcher when all the rest of your equipment is SD analog? You are spending as much on converters as the switcher cost. Not to mention the awkward SD-HD-SD problems.

2) I would think there is a significant possibility that one or both of your cameras will not produce a compatible signal through those (or any?) converters. I would want to test it (or get good first-hand confirmation) that your combination is compatible before spending any $$$.

3) I would also want to confirm that the output of the Intensity Extreme is compatible with the ATEM TVS. Blackmagic Design has a nasty habit of making equipment that isn't necessarily compatible with each other. I solved this problem with a cheap netbook PC with HDMI output, but if you are stuck in Apple-land maybe a Mac mini with HDMI output would do the job of insert playback.

There is an ATEM-specific forum that has a compatibility list at...
http://www.atemuser.com/CompatibleEquipment

Return to posts index

John Uriarte
Re: Building a broadcasting studio using ATEM TV Studio
on Jul 10, 2012 at 10:06:25 pm

I will give you reasons for wanting a new broadcasting system. 1) to stop using tape/mini DV. 2) Have a live broadcast that can have a green screen background. 3) Have the ability to expand, use different programs to enhance the broadcast, like animation, weather kind of stuff. 4) I can now use old switcher when filming talent shows, plays. It takes forever to edit a 3 camera shoot. Now it will be done as soon as the show is done.

1. I am more than willing to use an analog switcher or any switcher. The ATEM studio is the cheapest I could find. I have several one Canon XL 2, and 4 Canon GL 2's that will go to waste if I don't use them. I am trying to get away from using tape, mini DV, at my school. I have my students using 6 Canon vixia's. I forget which ones exactly, bought them 2 years ago for around $800 each. I can use these as two of the cameras for the broadcast, but I would be out two cameras for my students to use and stuck with the one Canon XL 2 and the 4 Canon GL 2's I have. I knew there might be or would most likely be problems with converting SD-HD-SD. That is why I posted this thread. I need help. All of my knowledge is with older analog equipment. I am planning on looking at the specs to try and make sure the cameras will work and there will be no problems with converting.

2. I agree. That is why I am posted this thread. I thought maybe someone with more experience on this board would know off hand if it will work or if it will not. If I need to use the Canon vixias, if they even work, I am willing.

3. I agree. I was at the BlackMagic booth at the NAB show in Vegas this year and had them draw out the design that I posted. They were the only ones there that had something I could use. I was way out of my league there so I am sure there was something else but not that I know of. I am stuck in Mac land only because we already have them. I would have to buy a PC so it isn't out of the question. I know Macs very well and not too much about PC's.

So I am open to any and all suggestions, including not using any black magic products. Maybe it is best for me to only buy the Intensity Extreme to see if I can eliminate using mini dv tapes for my pre-recorded stuff. That would be a good start. I still would like to have a green screen background for a live broadcast, and the ability to expand.

Thank you for all your help,

John Uriarte

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]