FORUMS: list search recent posts

What affordable 3D muxing alternatives are there ?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter wicks
What affordable 3D muxing alternatives are there ?
on Jun 27, 2012 at 2:06:16 pm

I've been looking for a muxing component to make 3D movies on the cheap, but with non HD as well as HD material, on my Extreme 3D & CS5.5. I know of CineForm Neo, and that it can be used, (seen the videos) but is it excellent for the price. Is there something better, or a BM or CS upgrade for muxing ?
And has anyone had good success using StaxRip X264 for 3D muxing ?

I would like to be able to use DV & HD signals, & convert to frame packing, to view on domestic 3D TVs, as well as Stereoscopic.
What else is there to check out for muxing ?
So far for me it's been messy & "unwatchable" converting DV Pal intlaced 4x3 to BM .avi, then to HD to watch on ME as stereoscopic:
3DHD 720p 50 = worst - massive data loss + jumpy/blurry
3DHD1080i 50 = very very bad - jumpy/blurry
3DHD1080p 25 = very bad - jumpy/blurry
It's a shame the BM Ext 3D only does 3D in HD.
I'm using my old DV equipment in knockabout situations as 'sacrificial' gear while it still works (and it still works fine), before risking newer gear.

Please help - my last post in this forum got nothing.

Return to posts index

Marc Monfet
Re: What affordable 3D muxing alternatives are there ?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:52:57 am

Peter,

found any solutions yet ?

I've been using StereoMovieMaker, which is FREE, and a very simple and light software. I haven't gotten other 3D softwares to work.

it works pretty well, although mine seems to skip a bit. don't know yet what's causing that.

if you want more info, just ask, and I'll tell you what I know.

Marc

P.S. the video editor Sony Movie Studio (recent) also has a built-in 3D Muxer. good luck!

Return to posts index

Marc Monfet
Re: What affordable 3D muxing alternatives are there ?
on Aug 9, 2013 at 8:11:34 pm

thank you Peter.

yep, that's the one I use too: StereoMovieMaker. it's simple and a pleasure to use. sometimes it skips, sometimes it doesn't. I should figure out what is the factor that makes it skip. maybe we sometimes use too high a bit rate ? anyway I have "less" skips than I used to now that I input @ 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080. so for now I consider 3D more for my native 1280x720 cameras. (longer interval between skips due to longer duration of clip segments). another annoying thing now is that my saved file has no audio anymore, so I have to remix it with the original.

I've felt intimidated by the Sony Movie Studio software, but between file conversion chew up and these skips and the missing audio, it might end up being a lot less trouble to just learn a new software.

I've been using Cyberlink PowerDirector, and it has its own quirks. when I bought it, it claimed "end to end 3D". (as long as your camera does the muxing OR you're only SIMULATING 3D from one camera view.) I've been hoping they add a MUXer in the next version, which generally comes out in the fall. if it doesn't, I guess I'll get to learning Sony Movie Studio.

PETER: if you have any more tips or info, my ears are definitely open.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]