FORUMS: list search recent posts

System build for video department at a high school

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Beck
System build for video department at a high school
on Jun 26, 2012 at 5:04:09 pm

Here is the build I'm looking at making.

Asus Sabertooth Z77 LGA 1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4 Quad Core
EVGA GTX 580 Fermi 36GB PCIe 2.0 x16 running 2 through SLI
Creative Blaster X-fi Titanium HD PCIe x1 Sound Card
32GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM
2 HGST Deskstar 2TB 7200 Hard Drives
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Adobe Premiere CS6
Black Magic Decklink Studio 2 Capture Card
1500W Power Supply

The school has Canon 3CCD Digial GL2 cameras and will be using a 2 channel clip-on wireless microphone system.

One of my concerns is that I'll be running 2 graphics cards. The Blackmagic website mentioned there may be some conflict with running SLI and the motherboard having a P67 chipset. Plus the Decklink only has 1 composite input. We will be needing 3 inputs. What brand of switch would you recommend for this?

Thanks for your time,

Steve

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: System build for video department at a high school
on Jun 26, 2012 at 6:03:11 pm

Hi Steve,

The system looks OK:
- the power supply is an overkill; 900-1100W will be more than sufficient including for future upgrades
- I'd drop the extra sound card - you've got the on-board sound which isn't bad, and the BMD Decklink card which also has its own sound. Adding more just confuses everybody.

The Decklink is not a graphics card, it's a video I/O with additional functions. You're not running SLI either. So no worries here.

Why do you need 3 composite inputs? Do you plan to capture 3 video streams at the same time?

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Steve Beck
on Jun 26, 2012 at 8:32:33 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for your advice. That makes sense on the sound card. I'll think about the power supply, maybe pull back to a 1200w. I see that you mentioned that we won't be using SLI, I was actually thinking about it. Any thought on why not too? We will be streaming 3 live feeds. So 3 composite inputs will be needed.

Thanks again,

Steve

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:06:37 pm

SLI requires two supported graphics cards (usually the same model) which you don't seem to be planning on. Is there some specific application you will be using that requires SLI?

I don't believe Decklink Studio supports passing three simultaneous streams to the system; for that, you would normally need something like Decklink Quad, and then get a custom application that can encode three simultaneous streams. Bottom line, it's not very trivial unless I've been living in a cave for the last few years and missed some major developments with BMD cards.

Osprey 460e on the other hand does allow independent input of up to four streams and prep them for streaming.

What software and/or service do you plan to use for streaming?

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Steve Beck
on Jun 27, 2012 at 3:10:58 pm

We are going to be streaming 3 live feeds at a time. 2 from cameras and 1 coming from a pc with a Youtube feed. They need to be rendering all at the same time. We're going to be using Adobe Premeire CS6 Suite.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jun 27, 2012 at 6:03:36 pm

[Steve Beck] "We are going to be streaming 3 live feeds at a time."

Possibly you are thinking Flash Media Live Encoder and Adobe Flash Media Server?

The standard CS6 bundles won't help with live streaming, AFAIK.

You also might need to re-think the whole setup: generally live streaming requires a separate ingest system or device for each stream, unless I am missing something. E.g. (if I understand it right) you would use three systems each with Flash Media Live Encoder installed that capture, prepare, and send out an encoded video feed to a server. A server will in turn broadcast (stream) those feeds.

There are other ways to do this (e.g. the server can be a streaming service such as UStream or LiveStream) but on the ingest part it is usually still, a separate system or a device for each stream.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jun 27, 2012 at 6:19:54 pm

[Alex Gerulaitis] "You also might need to re-think the whole setup: generally live streaming requires a separate ingest system or device for each stream"

One exception is Vidblaster. You would need three Decklink or Intensity cards in the system to have three live feeds though.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Steve Beck
on Jun 27, 2012 at 7:25:00 pm

This is for the schools Channel 1 system. It will be fed through coaxial for the school news programs.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:25:43 pm

[Steve Beck] "This is for the schools Channel 1 system. It will be fed through coaxial for the school news programs."

Sorry I misunderstood then, thinking of web-casting (live streaming) rather than closed circuit TV.

All three feeds simultaneously to different channels, or will one of the feeds be chosen (e.g. via a video mixer or switcher) to go straight to Channel 1?

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Steve Beck
on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:33:44 pm

The 3 feeds will come in and be stored on the computer. The files will then be manipulated in Premiere, then broadcast to Channel 1 as a single program.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:51:27 pm

Great, it all falls into places now.

The only stumbling block is simultaneous recording of three cameras - won't happen with Decklink Studio alone. Don't believe there is any widely available COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) software that will record multiple feeds into the same computer with a Decklink Quad or multiple Decklinks in the system.

(Anyone knows of such software short of a stand-alone multi-channel disk recorder which is usually big bucks?)

How about attaching a disk recorder to each camera?
- HyperDeck Shuttle (records HDMI or SDI), $345
- Mini Converter Analog to SDI - $295
- SSD big enough to records the necessary amount of video - $100-900.

(Anyone knows if Premiere CS6 understands Avid DNxHD files recorded by HyperDeck Shuttle?)

Alternately, replace GL2s with flash camcorders (Canon XA10?).

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Patrick Sproule
on Jul 3, 2012 at 10:55:23 am

There is COTS software to do it. But it's on a MAC. We use Softron's Movie Recorder with multiple Decklink Studios in a late Mac Pro with RAID storage to capture 3 streams of Pro Res in HD. Can also simultaneously play out using their On The Air Video. Expensive software but rock solid. Hope someone comes up with a Windows solution soon given the impending death of the Mac Pro.

Pat.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jul 6, 2012 at 1:22:56 am

[Patrick Sproule] "There is COTS software to do it. But it's on a MAC. We use Softron's Movie Recorder with multiple Decklink Studios in a late Mac Pro with RAID storage to capture 3 streams of Pro Res in HD. Can also simultaneously play out using their On The Air Video. Expensive software but rock solid. Hope someone comes up with a Windows solution soon given the impending death of the Mac Pro."

Thanks Pat! I totally forgot that Softron's MR supports multi-stream capture via multiple Decklink cards, or one or more Decklink Quads.

It being Mac-only and on-the-fly transcoding to ProRes probably makes unsuitable for this specific purpose.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]