FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still no good Media Composer 6 Drivers for BM cards and boxes.

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Goodman
Still no good Media Composer 6 Drivers for BM cards and boxes.
on Jun 21, 2012 at 8:12:04 pm

any luck here? since 9.5 the only fixes have been for FCP x and PPr6.. when are you guys gonna throw some Media Composer fixes in there ? TRIM and COLOR CORRECT modes are horribly slow and sluggish.

Also engaging CAPS LOCK for AUDIO SCRUB is super flakey in SOURCE/RECORD mode and when in 10 bit Preview Mode, all bests are off, and i get exception errors.

PLEASE HELP BM! you guys have been uber silent on these issues both here and on Avids own forum. Marianna said she was looking into it months ago and now its radio silence. Give your customers at least a heads up you are working on the problem!!

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: Still no good Media Composer 6 Drivers for BM cards and boxes.
on Jun 21, 2012 at 8:13:36 pm

and just for the record im experinceing this on two different cards and two different machines.

1. Home Setup = i7 imac w/thunderbolt Intensity Extreme
2. Work Setup = Mac Pro w/ Decklink Extreme HD 2

Return to posts index

Gunter Puszkar
on Jun 22, 2012 at 10:23:28 am

Hi Neil,

we are a posthouse with 10 Avidsuites and 3 FCPs suites, with Nitris DX, AJA Konas, AJA IO Express, BMD Decklink SDI to Extreme HD cards and many Adrenaline DNAs.

We tested our several systems in any combination to check for the benefits of Avid userexperience in MediaComposer 6

Our referencesystem is a AVID certified HP Z400 (2012), with one 6-core Intel Xeon, Windows 7 64bit and NitrisDX hardware, Nvidia Quadro4000, four stripe SATA Raid (around 350 MB/s )...

The most obvious thing is timeline-scrubbing in 1:1 HD and DNxHD185X and Quick Play and Stop commands. An Editor wants a system to stop instantly and with no delay.
The reference system is still instantly doing it. The editors are accepting it fully (And these editbays are fully booked....)
This system is faster than the Adrenaline DNA.
The "old" DNAs can't handle 1:1 but with DNxHD it was widely accepted, but since AVID MC 6 doesn't support the DNAs anymore, we started looking out.

Now we thought, how is AJA and Blackmagic Decklink compared this:
We have put the other cards in an identical HP Z400 and tested with same timelines (10 videotracks with heavy splitscreen stuff) and same MediaFiles

1. AJA Kona 3 on Z400: little more sluggish than the reference systems. Editors approved it
2. AJA IO Express: on MacBookPro (2011) even a little more sluggish than the reference systems. Editors approved it as well.
3. AJA Kona LHi Plus on Z400: same like number 2
4. BMD Decklink SDI on Z400: very sluggish, delay of sometimes 2 seconds. > Not acceptable for serious editing > thrown out of the game!

Now I let you know another point: The AfterEffects behaviour.
This is nasty:
What has been tested: Realtime playback of a RAM preview Aftereffects composition.
So we installed one-by-one the AJA Kona 3, LHi, BM Decklink SDI in the same system:
1. BMD Decklink SDI RAM preview running fine at all supported rates with suggested frame rates: like 1920x1080 at 25psf -> Compositors approved it.
2. AJA cards are ALL slowing down at 7-8 fps > unusable > Out of the compositing game!

So we figured out, that AJAs are OK for Editing NOT for Compositing in AfterEffects.
BMD Decklink cards vice versa...

We are using Audio PunchIn quite a lot, so that was the only point for the NitrisDX hardware decision in the past. But in the meantime we figured out, how to use an FireWire IEEE1394 Audio Interface for punchIn...

Cheers.
Gunter.

Gunter Puszkar
Head of Postproduction
PostFactory GmbH
Berlin, Germany

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:17:03 pm

Thanks Gunther! I wish i could justify buying the Nitris for my home setup, but i just cant, hence why i went with BM cards.

Its a bummer, it seems like AJA and even Matrox now have updated drivers that people are using, yet BM keeps releasing drivers with no fixes for MC 6.

Return to posts index

Julian Gil
on Jun 22, 2012 at 7:05:18 pm

I'd like to know how to keep MC from accessing my BM card since I only use it for Resolve?

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 25, 2012 at 3:17:31 pm

id like to know that as well. Can we get a word from BM, you guys have been MIA on this subject since the get go! throw your customers a bone! It can't be all on Avid to make this work.

Return to posts index

Pete Fausone
on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:07:03 pm

Try the just released 9.5.3 drivers. This fixes the problems you listed on my Decklink Extreme HD.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 26, 2012 at 11:02:44 pm

ok, downloading the new driver now.

Im hoping they figured out the trim and color modes too but ill take audio scrub for now!

Return to posts index

Matt Clifton
on Jun 27, 2012 at 2:26:59 am

Very curious about people's experiences with the Intensity Pro. Heard one report on the Avid forums that issues were fixed with the latest drivers. Certainly the MXO2 Mini is problematic with MC6, and looking for a better HDMI monitoring solution.

Matt

Matt Clifton
Mac Consultant
http://lokinyc.com

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 27, 2012 at 3:17:28 pm

the new drivers are indeed working well with my Decklink Extreme HD 2 and my intensity Extreme. Looks like they got it right.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]