FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple question - upgradingfrom BM Video Recorder

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
Simple question - upgradingfrom BM Video Recorder
on Jun 19, 2012 at 1:11:26 pm

I'm helping a non profit that has substantial historically sensitive video archives in SD. We are working on getting them converted for permanent future use. I currently have a Video Recorder from BM that I used for some home movies I converted, but of course, that seems to lose more in the conversion than I would have liked.

What is the 'standard' upgrade path to really take these tapes and make them as best as possible? I do understand the issues of converting from SD to digital etc. and the generational loss of some quality. But if we are going to budget to upgrade our gear, then what's the best choice? Ideally we want the kind of footage quality that could allow a researcher to integrate with documentary footage.

Conversion to 4:2:2 footage (either Pro-Res, XDCAM, etc.) is what I assume I want to do, or even higher? Or is there some kind of archival standard that I'm unaware of? (and why would there be?)

The other question I guess I should ask is, "is there any special gear, meaning specialized tape transports, lubrication, etc, that is used to protect against tape breakage on archival footage conversions?"

While we *could* budget to simply send to a specialized "hollywood' conversion house, we only have about 90 to 120 tapes to convert. If it's something that someone like me with a bit of standard production house knowledge of conversions could do, then we'd like to avoid the cost, obviously.

Thanks in advance.

Al

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
Re: Simple question - upgradingfrom BM Video Recorder
on Jun 19, 2012 at 2:32:17 pm

If only needing to do this for SD, I'd ingest the video as uncompressed. Just pick a Decklink or Intensity Shuttle that offers analog inputs, and you should be good to go.

Uncompressed SD runs at around 1.5GB per minute.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 20, 2012 at 10:57:29 pm

So in checking with B&H about buying one of the Intensities, it appears as though the USB 3.0 product will NOT support an i7 state of the art laptop such as my Thinkpad 520 with 16 GB RAM, a docking station, USB 3.0 and large hard drive support.

It appears that on the BM web site that this is really a product made for a desktop USB 3.0 implementation, and that it only is supported on high end HP workstations. My USB 3.0 hard drive works just fine with my w520 thinkpad.

Is this what folks here understand as well? Would like to be clear on this before plunking down my $189 plus shipping to get this product.

As my desktop is a couple of years old and doesn't support USB 3.0, perhaps a different conversion box by a competing manufacturer would be a better choice than BM?

If BM is really selling a box with such a limited amount of targeted machines, it seems to be a non starter.

Am I missing something in this analysis?

Thanks in advance.

Al

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Jun 20, 2012 at 11:01:10 pm

It's hit and miss with both laptops and desktops, it really depends upon the USB 3.0 controller your laptop uses, and the drivers and firmware for said controller.

I can confirm that the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 works perfectly on my Asus G53SW laptop.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 20, 2012 at 11:21:12 pm

Thanks Mike. It appears as if I'd be better off stepping up into a competing product with Express card 32 capability than chancing the USB 3.0 to not work on my machine. I'll hold off to see if anyone else has thoughts on this though.

Al

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Jun 20, 2012 at 11:25:43 pm

Whenever you get a chance, let us know what type of USB 3.0 controller your laptop uses.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to email BMD and ask them if they've tested your model of laptop, they may have.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 20, 2012 at 11:42:01 pm

Device Manager says that it has a Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Hub Controller and Root hub

Again this is a w520 thinkpad, built in the last few months.

Al

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 20, 2012 at 11:59:11 pm

It seems as if the driver you need to have is 2.0.4.0 or higher for this USB chipset. It unfortunately doesn't state that the Lenovo W520 is compatable, only that the chip is. hmmm. Well, I'll upgrade anyway. then ponder my choices and contact BMD

Al

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Jun 21, 2012 at 12:11:39 am

Yeah, it can be hit and miss, but if it's only a few months old, and using a Reneas chipset, it may likely work just fine.

My laptop doesn't use a Reneas chipset, and it still works perfectly, use the Shuttle everyday.

I bought mine from B&H Photo also, they have a pretty good return policy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]