FORUMS: list search recent posts

Atem 2 M/E and TripleHead2Go

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Smith
Atem 2 M/E and TripleHead2Go
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:32:59 pm

We currently have a TripleHead2Go Digital Edition (DVI outputs) going to 3 projectors. We are planning on using our new Atem 2 M/E switcher to run each projector through an Aux output.

Does anyone have experience getting a TripleHead2Go into an Atem switcher through HD-SDI? The 2 M/E only has 1 HDMI input so our only option is HD-SDI for all three outputs of the TripleHead2Go. I know the Blackmagic DVI Extender won't work (it won't see the TripleHead's 60 Hz output).

Would any kind of EDID emulator with an HDMI to HD-SDI converter work or does it absolutely have to be a scan converter?

Any ideas would help.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joel Caron
Re: Atem 2 M/E and TripleHead2Go
on Jun 19, 2012 at 4:34:11 pm

Hey Joel

I know that the Blackmagic HDMI - SDI converter will not work from my own experience. Like you said, because of the frame rate. The TH2GO is kind of dumb when it comes to EDIDs downstream of the converter.

Another alternative would be to get a router with DVI Extenders and use the router to make the switch.

I think you will have to get some Matrox MXOs or Convert DVIs to get the TH2GO into the ATEM.

Joel Caron

Return to posts index

Brian Hubbard
on Feb 27, 2013 at 1:40:36 pm

Joel, did you ever come up with a solution to convert the Triple Head 2 Go outputs to HD-SDI? Our church is looking to do the same thing and aren't having much luck just yet.

Return to posts index

Joel Smith
on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:15:13 pm

Brian,

Yes, we ended up finding a solution that came close to our budget. Had I known what we needed during the budget process, I would have allowed more for the DVI to SDI conversion.

I initially budgeted $350 per output to convert the DVI TripleHead2Go to HD-SDI, assuming the Blackmagic DVI to HD-SDI converter would work. The problem is the TripleHead2Go does not use a standard broadcast refresh rate. We needed 59.94 for the ATEM to see it at 720p. Therefore, you need a DVI to SDI scaler that reclocks the signal, too.

I found 2 used Gefen DVI to HD-SDI Pro Scalers on eBay for $450 total. I used one for 2 channels of the TripleHead. I also found 1 Gefen DVI to HD-SDI Plus Scaler on eBay for under $700. I used that for the 3rd channel of the TripleHead and use the 2nd Pro Scaler as a backup.

Overall, they've worked great. It holds a solid picture and the ATEM never seems to have an issue with it. That said, you still have to baby them in some ways. When we lose power (very rarely), the converters will forget settings or just refuse to work for a little while. It's only gone down on us once in the last 8 months. Hence the backup.

If you have room in the budget, I highly recommend checking out the Matrox DVI converters instead of Gefen. I've heard better things about them. Hope this helps, have fun!

Return to posts index

Brian Hubbard
on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:40:45 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. I knew this could be an issue when we got to this point but just didn't know as I had read a few conflicting reports in different forums. I think we are going to bite the bullett and get the Matrox DVI converters. We found some on Ebay and might go that route. We are going to be running these into the Black magic Video Hub and then to the output devices.

Return to posts index

Peter Kim
on Mar 20, 2013 at 8:06:47 pm

Brian,

I think I'm very similar situation like you. We recently upgraded our church video system with ATEM2. With that, we also bought Triplehead2go along with propresenter software. When we were trying to connect output of triplehead2go with BlackMagicdesign video hub through DVI extender, it just didn't work. Later, we found out this setup won't work. I've been trying to find a solution for this last several months...

So, have you purchased Matrox DVI converter? It looks like I might have to follow this route. Let me know how this works out for you.

Thanks.

Peter

Return to posts index

Brian Hubbard
on Mar 20, 2013 at 8:17:06 pm

Peter, we actually recently just finished up getting everything connected. We still have a few terminations to complete and somethings to wrap up hopefully all before Easter. So this is what we did. DVI out of the MacPro to a Matrox Triple Head2Go. Each output of the TH2G is ran into a Matrox DVI Convert and converted to HD-SDI. We run that into the Black Magic Video Hub and then out to our projectors. Our projectors don't have SDI input on them so we converted the SDI signal to a HDMI signal using the BlackMagic SDI-HDMI mini converter. You have to be sure to set the projectors to the HDTV setting as the auto can't negotiate the protocol because of the converstion. Everything so far is working great. I will be posting a full write with a diagram when everything is complete.

Return to posts index

Peter Kim
on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:31:37 am

Thanks for your reply Brian,I have two questions though.

One, when your video comes out of Matrox DVI Converter, what format are you using? Is it 720p or 1080i?
Two, did you have to buy two Matrox DVI Converters for each DVI out of TH2Go?

Thanks for you help.

Peter

Return to posts index

Brian Hubbard
on Mar 21, 2013 at 12:13:50 pm

Peter, I believe we doing 1080i out but I would have to double check that. And yes you have to have a Matrox DVI Convert box per output of the TH2G. We are using all 3 outputs of the TH2G so we had to have 3 of the Matrox DVI Convert boxes. They are kind of pricey but that was the only way we could get everything to work.

Return to posts index

Peter Kim
on Mar 21, 2013 at 12:30:08 pm

Thanks again for your reply. Man, that would be little pricey for us to buy after spending pretty good amount of money already.
Do you record your Sunday worship? I'm using BMG Hyperdeck on SSD harddrive. We've been having an issue with importing files using Adobe Premiere. Honestly, I'm very new to this whole system. still learning as we go. lots of googling... :-) Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Hubbard
on Mar 21, 2013 at 1:02:16 pm

I hear ya man. I am very new to all of this too. I have read so many manuals and googled so many articles it is insane. We do record our services right now but we are only recording to a DVD recorder using the S-video out of the Datavideo SE-900 switcher. This project that we have been working on is really been about getting the underlying infrastructure cleaned up and moving our standard wiring from S-video to SDI. We are looking to start recording to and SSD or hard drive in the near future but havne't decided which route we want to go with it yet. Here is the diagram of how we have everything layed out. let me know if you have any other questions.

Return to posts index

Joel Smith
on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:17:01 pm

Hey Peter,

We are also using the Hyperdeck and Premiere. I had to setup a preset to accept the files, but haven't had any issues after that. We are 720p59.94.

I've attached some screen shots of our preset in case you need it:

Return to posts index

Peter Kim
on Mar 21, 2013 at 6:29:56 pm

Thanks for your reply Joel. I will take a look at your settings when I get back to my church.

Return to posts index

Peter Kim
on Mar 23, 2013 at 3:28:50 pm

Joel,

Do you know what happens if I feed 1080i to ATEM when it is setup for 720p? Two of my video camera doesn't support 720p... I guess I can give it a try.

Return to posts index

Joel Smith
on Mar 23, 2013 at 3:59:08 pm

Peter,

The ATEM switchers only work in one resolution and frame rate at the same time (one reason why the prices can be so low). That means every source (camera, computer, vtr, etc.) has to match that resolution and frame rate. A 1080i camera will not work on an ATEM setup for 720p. You'll have to either convert the cameras or find ones that match your format.

Return to posts index

Peter Kim
on Mar 26, 2013 at 6:14:05 pm

Thanks again for your reply Joel. Hey, how's Gefen HD Scaler work for you? I'm thinking about buying three of them to connect triplehead2go to ATEM2. Matrox DVI scaler will cost a lot more money than my church can spend. So, PC DVI out - Triplehead2go DVI in - Triplehead2go DVI out - Gefen HD scaler - BMD Video Hub. Will this work?

Thanks.

Peter

Return to posts index

Joel Smith
on Apr 9, 2013 at 9:24:43 pm

Peter,

The Gefen scalers have worked pretty well considering what we paid for them. Every once in a while the dual channel scaler will go black, I'm not sure if that's a scaler issue or the TripleHead2Go. Most of the time doing a power cycle on the Gefen fixes it, but one time it would not come back and it took a few days for it to "reset" and work again. We bought 2 of the dual channel scalers on eBay for $450 so we used the second one as a backup. 99% of the time they work great, though.

Our setup is DVI out to TH2Go, DVI out of all 3 TH2Go outputs into the Gefen scalers, then HD-SDI straight into our ATEM switcher. I believe your configuration will work just fine.

Joel

Return to posts index

Peter Kim
on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:49:20 am

Joel,

I bought Gefen DVI to HD-SDI Pro Scalers and tested it today. When I connected the output of Gefen to regular HDMI TV, it worked fine. (1080i 59.95hz) However, when I connected it through ATEM, it showed no blue... very yellowish color. It looks like the color is reversed almost. I'm not an video expert. I don't know where to check on this. Since you are using this setup, do you have any suggestion? My connection at the moment is, PC-DVI out - Triplehead2Go - Gefen - BMD DVI Extender - ATEM2.

Thanks.

Peter

Return to posts index

Joel Smith
on Apr 9, 2013 at 9:26:29 pm

Peter,

Why are you using the DVI Extender? The Gefen should be converting the DVI to SDI so I'm confused why there is a DVI Extender in the path.

Joel

Return to posts index

Lindsey Turner
on Mar 16, 2016 at 2:49:27 pm

Hi. Do you have a diagram to show the setup of the gefen and triplhead?

My church just purchased 3 gefen's and we're struggling getting the signal to the switcher.

Shoudl the gefen be put between the triplehead and the computer ?

Projectors into triplehead2Go, triplehead2go into Gefen, gefen into Computer, computer into switcher ?

Thanks for your response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]