FORUMS: list search recent posts

New iMac, CS6PPro and Intensity Extreme

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Weber
New iMac, CS6PPro and Intensity Extreme
on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:58:38 pm

I am trying to setup a new edit system using the system described in the title of this post. The problem is that the only preset that I have been able to get to work with my system is the Blackmagic 8bit 1080 23.98 option. All of my footage is shot 1080p30 and is either ProRes LT or H.264 files out of the camera. I don't want to have to use a Sequence with the Blackmagic preset because I don't want my render files to be that big. I would prefer to use ProRes LT, but of course this isn't an option using PPro 6. What is the best way of me to monitor my footage using a 29.97 sequence and a more compressed sequence?

Is what I am asking possible? I could do it in FCP 7 very easily.

Thanks,

Daniel Weber

Daniel Weber
Video Producer
Office of Adventist Mission
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists

Return to posts index

Daniel Weber
Re: New iMac, CS6PPro and Intensity Extreme
on Jun 18, 2012 at 9:55:09 pm

Well I called Blackmagic and they told me that Premiere Pro doesn't support 1080p30 and that is why the Intensity Extreme won't work with 1080p30 timelines. Crazy!!

Time to call Adobe. I am not a happy former FCP 7 user. This just doesn't make sense!!

Daniel Weber
Video Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Jun 19, 2012 at 1:46:39 am

Hi Daniel,

I've just performed a quick couple of tests here for you. Premiere Pro CS6 is definitely capable of outputting 1080p30 via Blackmagic devices. I have just tested with a Decklink HD Extreme, and indeed I can get 1080p30 out via SDI using the Blackmagic Uncompressed and Digital SLR sequences.

The Intensity Extreme should therefore also be outputting 1080p30 correctly from these sequences too, but I'm afraid I cannot fully test this right now because none of our TVs or monitors we have in this office support 1080p25/29.97/30. In fact more often than not in cases of these formats not working, the problem is the monitor not supporting them since these are not common formats. I would check the monitor's specifications or with the manufacturer to see whether it does have support for these formats.

Final Cut Pro 7 however could not output 1080p30, but it was possible to workaround this using 1080i60 output.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Daniel Weber
on Jun 19, 2012 at 1:55:24 am

Chris,

Thanks for your response. I can get the TV to play 1080p24 files which I found strange that it could play that frame rate but not 1080p30. I will try an interlaced setting next to see if that works.

The problem that I have discovered with PPro 6 is that I can't have the sequence set at one setting and the output at another. The only way that I could get PPro 6 to play out to the TV was if I used the Blackmagic 1080p24 8 bit YUV preset. I would rather not work in an uncompressed timeline. I wonder if the problem is going out via HDMI and not SDI. I will work on it some more tomorrow.

I am bummed because I bought the TV and the Intensity Decklink over a month ago and it took a while to get my edit system setup for testing. Not a fun time in my office right now!!

Daniel Weber
Video Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Jun 19, 2012 at 2:38:50 am

Daniel,

I think more and more TVs are supporting 1080p23.98 and 24 now because of the rise of things like Blu-Ray where the native format is 1080p24. 25, 29.97 and 30 are still not terribly widespread so we still see a lot of TVs not supporting these formats.

I've had a look through the sequence settings in Premiere Pro, but don't see anything that's going to work perfectly. I think the closest you'll get are the DVCProHD and Digital SLR sequence settings. Certainly you can drop your 1080p30 footage onto virtually any timeline, such as 1080i60, and you should get an output, but I don't know to what extent this is going to affect the edit.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Daniel Weber
on Jun 19, 2012 at 3:04:47 am

Chris,

OK, I just checked the specs of the monitor on Panasonic's website. The TV supports 720p60, 1080i60, 1080p24, 1080p23.98 and 1080p60. No support for 1080p30.... :(

Time for a new TV.... I just wish that PPro supported different monitoring options than the timeline settings.

Thanks for your help.

Daniel

Daniel Weber
Video Producer

Return to posts index

Mel Feliciano
on Jun 19, 2012 at 3:46:57 pm

Something similar happened to me. I bought one of the new 2012 Panasonic Viera LED (IPS) tv to be used on my edit suite. When I tried to playback a 30fps timeline (29.97) the monitor said "No input signal" or something like that. I thought there was something wrong with my Matrox MXO2 mini (sorry, no BMD yet), so I connected my Samsung LED TV and everything worked perfectly. Then I figured (by reading the manual) that the problem was that those Panasonic TVs don't support that particular frame rate. What a bummer. I assumed that the Panasonic would support all the popular frame rates since my year and half old Samsung supports everything except 1080p at 60fps.

Return to posts index

Daniel Weber
on Jun 19, 2012 at 4:25:12 pm

I tested a Panasonic LCD Digital Signage Display that was in my office and it works fine with the editing system and the Intensity Extreme. Before you buy a monitor, you need to check the specs and see if it can play 1080p30 or not. I find it funny that this monitor could play 1080p60 but not 1080p30.

I did get it to work with FCPX though when I set the Black Magic control panel to output a 1080i59.94 signal. In fact it worked great. Looked amazing. To bad FCPX doesn't have its act together and become the professional tool that we all hoped it would be..... :(

Daniel Weber
Video Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]