FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrascope Build

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Riggieri
Ultrascope Build
on Jun 14, 2012 at 4:11:20 am

Hey Guys

I just wanted to let everyone have a little insight on the UltraScope Build i just completed. It went flawless and is working great. I love UltraScope, just wish they gave us the I-Line and overlays in the vector scopes.

Anyways, my whole goal of this system was to make an audibly silent system, and basically Turn-Key. I just wanted it to turn on, and be an Ultrascope, no clicking around, no mouse or keyboard connected.

Anyways These are the parts I Selected:

Intel Sandy Bridge Pentium G620 (no Need for lots of processor power) It was only $50

Gigabyte Micro-ATX Board. Cheapest one they make based on the H61 Chipset. $50

Cheapest SSD I could find. I got a 32GB OCZ drive. $50 You could save money here, but not much, and an SSD boots so much faster

4GB DDR3 1066mhz ram. Honestly, cheapest ram i could find, was the crucial ballistic. it was like $20

PNY GTX 550 TI. PNY was cheaper than eVGA, but either would work. This looked like the lowest of the current gen cards that would work. $140

SilverStone GD05. I wished i could have found a smaller case, but all the smaller cases use smaller fans, this uses 120mm, which are dead silent. I undervolted the fans to 7v, which makes them turn at 900rpm and make them damn silent.

Antec Earthwatts 380 PSU: This is the only item i think i made a mistake on. The fan in it is louder than the CPU fan, but it fit my needs, and honestly, I can't hear it more than 1 foot away from the case.

This is where the build Gets Awesome. I picked up a 21" HP TOUCHSCREEN. it is a good screen, it is 1920x1080, and TOUCHSCREEN and is plug and play with windows 7. And blackmagic totally built the UltraScope interface with touch in mind, because it works great. I think i paid only $200 for the screen.

The touchscreen is great, I can zoom in and drag around the scopes with my finger, no need to have another keyboard and mouse on your desktop.

So Installed Windows 7 64bit (forgot how hard it is to install windows. So many drivers), Installed all nessacary drives, Installed Ultrascope, and Bam. Worked Perfectly. No Noticable delay on the scopes, no noticeable noise from the computer.

The only issue is, Ultrascope doesn't like being started up immediately at startup. When i placed it in the startup folder, it would throw an error saying the resolution wasn't correct. I found a nifty program called Startup Delayer, delayed ultrascope by 10s (might try 5s now)

Cold to Scope is 37s.

I had heard horror stories of people trying to build their own, so I am glad how well this worked out.

For anyone thinning about building a UltraScope, I would 100% recommend the touchscreen. I think the total cost with the ultrascope was under $1400. not bad i guess

Cheers
Matt Riggieri
digital Cave

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
Re: Ultrascope Build
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:16:52 am

Great info thanks!

Return to posts index

Frank Wit
on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:34:47 pm

Nice!

I was thinking about doing the same, until I came across an HP XW4600 workstation for 225 euro's.... also works flawlessly.

Regards Frank

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Jun 20, 2012 at 7:50:40 pm

Thank you Matt!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]