FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink SDI and updating Firmware with BSOD

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Cadieux
Decklink SDI and updating Firmware with BSOD
on Jun 13, 2012 at 4:40:11 am

Hello,

I just built a new PC-based Widows 7 Pro 64-bit machine running Production Suite CS5.5. The machine contains the EVGA Classified SR-2 mobo, 48GB of RAM, and the GTX580 video card. I also installed a Blackmagic Decklink SDI card to preview HD on an external monitor while I edit. When I first installed the BM card it would not allow me to playback XDCAM footage in a BM XDCAM preset sequence. If I dropped a clip in the timeline, it would show in the project window, but wouldn't play. I then decided to try an older version of the driver on the card. After installing the older version of the driver, I was instructed to update the firmware. EVERY time I try to update the firmware I get a Blue Screen of Death. After fighting w/ the BM SDI card for while, I decided to hook up my Multibridge Pro as a decklink device instead. Same issue there. Every time I try to upgrade the Firmware on the Multibridge, I get a BSOD. No other cards or devices cause the BSOD on my PC other than BM products.

I have read multiple forums with complaints about BM cards and 64-bit Windows 7 machines. I have emailed and called BM and they have not gotten back to me. Their customer service stinks. They don't even have a tech-support line. They just have you leave a message which, for them, seems easy to ignore. Has anyone else run into this situation? Is there a fix? Thanks in advance.

-Aaron

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: Decklink SDI and updating Firmware with BSOD
on Jun 13, 2012 at 5:46:23 am

Hi Aaron,

I am sorry about your experience with support. I don't know how long it has been since you tried contacting support, but it's not always possible to get back to emails and voicemail straight away. However the technical support numbers for each region can be found on the following page

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/company/

If you are calling within office hours (typically 9:00-5:00) you should usually get straight through to a support representative.

On the problem you are having however, it sounds to me to be likely a hardware compatibility issue. I'm not aware of any issues specific to 64bit Windows, in fact we would suggest using 64bit over 32. The problem could be solved by something as simple as changing a BIOS setting, but it's also possible the motherboard could just be incompatible.

Whilst I don't think I've come across a BSOD whilst updating the firmware before, I would certainly suggest checking things like PCI Express Power Saving in the Advanced Power Saving options. You can access this through Control Panel->Power Options, choosing to edit your current power plan, and then selecting the advanced power options. Certainly a similar issue from some time ago where the firmware update did not take was sometimes resolved by turning PCI Express power saving off.

Otherwise it may be that changing a BIOS setting specific to the PCI Express slots could help, but it's very difficult for me to suggest what options could make any difference since motherboards are all different.

I would of course also make sure to try the card in different PCI Express slots to see if the problem occurs only in specific slots or all of them. if you still get nowhere with this, please do try your regional support office again using the numbers above. Depending on the region you are in you may also be able to get support from your reseller or distributor.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:45:24 pm

Chris,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I know my initial post was grumpy, and I appreciate your patience. I will try some of your suggestions this evening. Thanks so much.

-Aaron

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:51:41 pm

Chris,

I'm happy to announce that your suggestion to adjust my power settings worked! Much thanks!

-Aaron

Return to posts index

Abdullah Gamal
on May 14, 2013 at 5:14:55 pm

could you please tell me what you do exactly
because i need to update my Black magic decklink firmware

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]