FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac-drive is slowwww

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bo Skelmose
Mac-drive is slowwww
on Jun 8, 2012 at 12:33:08 pm

Hi
Installed the Mac-drive software on one of my machines - now it has gone very low in speed - taking 14-24 hours to copy a 128gB SSD disk via e-sata or usb2. I cannot install it on another machine because I only have license to the "slow" machine. Any idears how to change the license to another machine - I'm stocked with this software to use Black Magic Hyper deck Shuttle.....

Found out that the software could be deactivated and activated on another machine - hope it works on my old HP

Return to posts index

Tom Bassford
Re: Mac-drive is slowwww
on Jun 8, 2012 at 1:05:12 pm

I would recommend you look at Transmac software as a replacement for MacDrive. It's much better in my experience.

http://www.asy.com/scrtm.htm

http://ATEMuser.com

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
on Jun 10, 2012 at 4:43:07 pm

There is a big difference between the two. MacDrive is invisible to the user for most file operations. Transmac is separate program that you have to run every time you want to access a Mac-formatted drive. Its interface looks a lot like the Windows Explorer. Both are somewhat slower at copying files than a "normal" Windows file copy. That's just the nature of the extra software layer that's needed to read and write Mac-formatted drives under Windows.

Other than that, they both seem to do the job for most people.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 10, 2012 at 7:30:43 am

Yes you are supposed to be able to transfer the license. You can also buy a 2-computer license for not much more than single license.

I had exactly the same problem with my AJA KiPro drives until I tried connecting them directly via SATA (a method NOT endorsed by AJA). Now I get quite reasonable transfer times out of them.

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Jun 10, 2012 at 9:40:25 pm

Seems to be a computer problem esata/usb2 transfer 4-5 mb/s - works fine on usb2 on my old HP. I'll look into it.

Return to posts index

ninetto makavejev
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:50:22 pm

I remember reading somewhere that certain controllers (Marvell?) have quirks with SSD-disks connected externally. Esata should of course be much faster than USB 2.0 Or do you see this effect ONLY with Mac-Formated SSDs? Maybe they were not properly aligned when formating in Apple? Or did you format the disks via MacDrive? There was a acknowlegded MacDrive 9.0 bug whilst formatting but that has been fixed, and I believe it was for mixed formats NFTS/GPT...

In any case it would be good to hear if you found a solution to this. Everyone on the block is lusting after SSD-Disks these days...!

Return to posts index

Dave Gosley
on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:59:50 pm

Have same problem with MacDrive. Trying to take files off a drobo that was mac formatted.
MacDrive sees the drive just fine. But transfer off it is a labour intensive 10MBps.

PC is a new one with win 7 pro. The drive I am transferring to is a seagate 7200 3TB internally installed on SATA - and was bought new in Feb 2013.

I have changed the firewire driver to the legacy version - got a minimal increase from 7 - 8 MBps to the 10.
Then changed to the ubicore driver - and no difference.

I tried transmac - and once installed it could recognise the drobo as a disk - but could not connect to it - stating "disk access error" so never got it to work.

I am waiting for the folk at mediafour support to respond again - having responded once to recognise my request, the immediate was to ask if I had tried and alternative connection.

Yes - tried firewire and usb - same result.

Return to posts index

Dave Gosley
on Feb 17, 2013 at 1:17:45 am

Having emptied the mass storage device on the Firewire - I continued using MacDrive to empty some other archive folders off separate drives - this time using an external esata docking station.

The drive I am taking stuff off is a 7200 / 6GBp/s and its feeding a PC formatted 7200 / 6GB/ps drive - via a sata cable.

MacDrive is maintaining a rate of 116MB p/s - which is way better.
I am persuaded the problem was not with MacDrive but with Firewire - even with the ubicore driver.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]