FORUMS: list search recent posts

Headset Recommendations for ATEM Camera Converters

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Christensen
Headset Recommendations for ATEM Camera Converters
on Jun 7, 2012 at 4:08:03 pm

Hello,

What headsets are folks using with the ATEM Fiber Camera Converters? We currently use cheap PC headsets but the audio quality in a live sports arena is very poor.

Thank you,

Joe Christensen
Blaze Streaming Media
LIve Online Productions

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Headset Recommendations for ATEM Camera Converters
on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:43:38 pm

Hi, Joe

What kind of budget? There are good headsets that run $300-500.

What do you mean by "sound quality"?

• Do you mean ISOLATION from ambient noise?

• Or do you mean VOLUME levels?

• Or do you mean INTELLIGIBILITY?

Do you mean what the ops are HEARING or do you mean understanding what the ops are SAYING?

There may be different solutions for different problems (or combinations of problems).

My best headsets were a couple of military-surplus units with great isolation, sensitivity, and noise-cancelling mics.

Indeed, I just Googled for "aircraft headsets" and found some likely candidates for significantly lower prices than the ones intended for the production intercom market. They would probably require changing out the connectors since the BMD gear uses those twinky 3.5mm consumer jacks. Or it would be easy enough to make some adapters to use more industry-standard headset connectors.

What are you using for fiber cable? How is it holding up in portable use? How delicate is it for setup and strike?

Return to posts index

Joe Christensen
on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:50:46 pm

Hi Richard!

Our experience has been poor noise cancelling of ambient noise via the microphone on the headset. When someone 'clips in' all you hear is the noise of the venue.

I agree with you on price. I'm looking at Sennheiser HMD280 & HMD26 but was hoping that something else was out there.

Joe

Joe Christensen
Blaze Streaming Media
LIve Online Productions

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 7, 2012 at 7:45:05 pm

This looks like a remarkable deal. Solid mechanical design, and a noise-cancelling mic with a street price < $150

Headsets Inc. DRE-1001 (available in black or white)
http://www.headsetsinc.com/Headsets.html

I don't have any hands-on experience with this product, but it looks good enough on the website that I may order one myself just to try it out.

Return to posts index

Tom Bassford
on Jun 8, 2012 at 1:17:49 pm

I've always like PELTOR headsets - they are the only way you can hear comms on rock shows in front of a PA running at 115dB + !

They do a helicopter headset with the correct (ie stupid) 32ohm earphone impedance for the BMD camera converters. Someone has them on fleabay for a reasonable price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peltor-8103-Military-Helicopter-Headset-Low-Impedan...

As a side note I wish BMD would do a professional version of the camera converter with opticon connectors / analog return video / genlock and a headset impedance more suited to professional headsets (150 ohms or something would be more reasonable - 300 would make the comms LOUD )

http://ATEMuser.com

Return to posts index

Earle Nichol
on Jul 10, 2015 at 9:36:22 pm

Hey Joe Just wondering what headsets you ended up going with for the ATEM Camera Converters?

I found some gaming ones,but they don't look that solid...any suggestions much appreciated.

thanks!

Earle

Communication! Communication! Communication!

Return to posts index

Joe Christensen
on Jul 16, 2015 at 12:39:28 am

We have tried several different options and still don't love our solution.

we are using Corsair Vengeance 1400 Gaming Headset's.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe Christensen
Blaze Streaming Media
Live Online Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]