FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proper configuration for the Decklink HD Xtreme 3d+ and Premiere Pro for surround sound monitoring.

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitry Kitsov
Proper configuration for the Decklink HD Xtreme 3d+ and Premiere Pro for surround sound monitoring.
on May 28, 2012 at 3:17:27 am

I ran into a problem configuring the Decklink HD Xtreme 3d+ in Premiere Pro for surround sound monitoring.
An intuitive thing seemed to use Blackmagic Playback in the Audio Device drop Down menu as an Audio Device in a Playback panel of the PPRO preferences as well as selecting Blackmagic Audio in the Audio Hardware panel of the preferences menu.
If you do that and if you output to a receiver via HDMI cable you will always have nonsensical assignment of the speaker channels regardless of the channel assignment you chose in the Audio Output Mapping menu. I for example had my center channel to come out from my SurL and then some.

The correct thing to do is to chose Adobe Desktop Audio in the Playback menu. Then you can go ahead and chose Blackmagic Audio in the Audio hardware menu and the Output mapping menu will work as it supposed to.

Hope this will help somebody with the similar problem.
I sure wish to understand the reason behind the fixed nature of the Blackmagic Audio output. I am sure there is some professional studio workflow reason behind that.
Does anybody know?

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
Re: Proper configuration for the Decklink HD Xtreme 3d+ and Premiere Pro for surround sound monitoring.
on May 30, 2012 at 3:44:37 am

On the other hand if you are to follow the procedure above you will loose lipsync with your external video monitor.
Would be curious to hear from Blackmagic people about this.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
Re: Proper configuration for the Decklink HD Xtreme 3d+ and Premiere Pro for surround sound monitoring.
on Jul 29, 2012 at 7:46:34 pm

BMD people please explain

Return to posts index

Mark Vernon
on Mar 3, 2013 at 4:27:25 am

I am so glad I stumbled upon this post. I have spent MONTHS trying to work out what was going on inside premier with my surround!

When first installed it worked perfectly, a month later all the channels were mixed up and no amount of changing assignments was going to correct the issue. The sync issue is a problem though. How have you dealt with this?

My only other related problem is surround in general from other apps and things like youtube videos. As with premier, when first installed surround worked great, but then I lost surround sound in general. Even though premier is now working again, and audition always has, I cannot get surround from my general video playback software or web videos etc. Any ideas on this?

Although I love my blackmagic device, I have been disappointed with the issues and support from blackmagic. They admit to knowing about the sync issue but seem to not really care about it. I was told "It's a premier problem" so really one could say even though the features state compatible with premiere, it really isnt suitable at this stage. Also no help what so ever when I was trying to get to the bottom of this surround issue!

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:26:22 pm

Mark, check out these threads:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/124/881182
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/124/881728

See if they're of any help. BM has acknowledged those issues and shown some willingness to help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]