FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic HD Extreme with Vegas editing capture Open Captions

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Brewer
Blackmagic HD Extreme with Vegas editing capture Open Captions
on May 26, 2012 at 3:28:18 pm

I use a Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 3D card to supply video to my preview monitor when editing with Vegas 11 using the HDMI output jack on the decklink card. When I open the Blackmagic media express record utility, my Vegas preview monitor goes black. This I understand.. close the media express, and my Vegas preview monitor returns.

Is there a way to record to my hard disk, the output on my Vegas 11 preview by using the Blackmagic Media Express record utility?

The video from my vegas 11 preview is routed to the card obviously, and then sent to the HDMI connector. When BM media express is opened, it interrupts this path. But I can't seem to get my Vegas preview video to appear on the Media Express preview window therefore no record is possible.

I do not want to use the BM card as a external capture device. I want to capture off the Vegas preview window to capture open captions using the subtitle feature.

Any ideas out there?

Larry Brewer
Gigabyte MB, 12 GB ram, i7 950 quad core, 4TB raid, SSD system,
ssd programs

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Blackmagic HD Extreme with Vegas editing capture Open Captions
on May 27, 2012 at 4:07:03 pm

screen recording software at high quality? Guess it depends on your delivery product.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
on May 27, 2012 at 4:45:55 pm

Thank you for your reply. Let me start by saying the question I asked was not well written, and when I read it this morning I realized that.

When you suggest I was referring screen recording software I agree that the term "high quality" would not come to mind. It is because of that I haven't even bothered trying Camtasia or other such utilities.

But the BM HD Extreme card method I'm asking about should deliver high quality results. It does a fantastic job of capturing from, and printing to HD decks and produces a razor sharp image when used as a preview device. I'm simply asking if there's a way to deliver the 1080 Vegas preview image directly to the BM Media Express hard disk recorder.

A client of mine wants to capture the closed caption preview that appears on my NLE monitor and use it to create an open caption version. Short of putting a camera in front of a monitor, I can't think of a simple way to do this. All because closed captions are typically generated in the monitor itself.

I've considered using two PCs, each with BM decklink cards, connecting the HDMI output of the first into the HDMI input of the second. But the HDCP would prohibit that. So, there's the problem. The ability to display a high quality, full frame rate video signal, and no way to record it.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 28, 2012 at 2:01:08 pm

im assuming you already have a caption file created?

Maybe look into movie captioner. It will load quite a few different caption file types, and allow you to
embed them into quicktime movies. Within quicktime the client can turn them on or off. Software is only about 100 dollars. It also allows you to create the captions yourself.

We usually only work with closed captioning, not open captioning. The last time we did it, we got the caption house to provide a captioned movie on a green background. We then just pulled a key and did an overlay, and output for the client.

I don't think you are ever going to "capture" the captioning stream out of the preview monitor...those cards just don't work that way.- unless you can find a card that can take a dvi loop out of your monitor and capture it.
I would still look into camtasia as well, as i said before....it produces very good quality...assuming your preview monitor is running at full fps. try the 30 day trial and see how it looks...its free!
It would certainly look better than using a video camera to capture the screen.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]