FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut audio monitoring with Decklink extreme 3D

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Bigler
Final Cut audio monitoring with Decklink extreme 3D
on May 25, 2012 at 10:24:59 am

Hi there,

we use the Decklink extreme 3D to output the audio from our Final Cut editing machine to our pair of speakers. Also, we use the HDMI out to send to a monitor for the clients.

There is a slight delay between the HDMI and the audio output, so I picked up the audio from the TV back to the audio mixer. In this way, I can switch from the direct audio when I edit, to the HDMI audio when I present my work. That works pretty well.

Lately an editor pointed out that the audio from the audio out of the Decklink card seemed to be a couple of frames out of sync compared to the internal sound card of the Mac when we playback in Final Cut. Have others experienced the same issue? So my speakers our plugged on the a pair of jacks on the Decklink, and the video is shown on the computer screen, and it's slightly out of sync.

Any comments on that? Should I rather use the built-in sound card then?!? Sounds a little cheap, but sync is more important than quality for editing.

Thanks for your inputs.

Jonathan

Return to posts index

Jonathan Bigler
Re: Final Cut audio monitoring with Decklink extreme 3D
on May 30, 2012 at 2:23:18 pm

No input ?!?

Return to posts index

Nate Tang
on Jan 15, 2013 at 6:12:30 am

Did you ever resolve this? Experiencing similar issues.

Return to posts index

Alex Maranda
on Jan 18, 2013 at 5:16:58 am

Same behavior here. Someone from BM should state whether this is inherent with the hardware or it's an issue with their (ASIO!) driver, which - in good style - they will never fix.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Bigler
on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:36:43 am

Hi there,

well, it seems to me that the delay of the audio is matching the delay on the video outputs (HDMI and SDI), which kind of make sense.

So eventually, what I did is to hook both the Decklink and the internal audio card to a small analog mixer. In this way, if the editor works on the station, he uses the internal output, if we use an external video monitor then we switch the audio to the Decklink.

If you're not satisfied with the internal audio card, you could use a dedicated sound card instead.

Return to posts index

Alex Maranda
on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:53:39 am

I suppose. It does make the in/out audio path useful only in conjunction with the video - by design.

I hooked up an USB keyboard once and couldn't use it over Blackmagic Audio because of the lag. Also audio capture (also delayed) is active only if there is video coming in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]