FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ivy bridge, native usb 3 and intensity shuttle

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas Mayer
Ivy bridge, native usb 3 and intensity shuttle
on May 24, 2012 at 5:16:21 pm

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone can help me form reasonable expectations about an eventual intensity shuttle compatibility with ivy bridge laptops?

As it is, the intensity shuttle has very specific hardware requirements and falls short of being a mainstream portable capture solution. The only certified laptop (MSI model) is notably out of production. Apparently, this is because most usb 3 controllers/mobo combinations cannot provide the necessary bandwidth.

I thought that the adoption of native usb 3 by intel on its ivy brige platform would address this whole bandwidth issue and consequently make it a breeze to find a compatible laptops. I am right to think so, or am I missing something?

We are more than one month past the ivy bridge launch date, and I have not yet found anyone claiming to have successfully used the shuttle on such laptops. Any idea as to what I should expect from BM?

Return to posts index

Jr Bergstraten
Re: Ivy bridge, native usb 3 and intensity shuttle
on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:08:39 am

Being developed by Intel means better firmware/driver support you might think. The problem is that these chips are soldered onto the mainboards of notebooks. Manufacturers don't give out firmware updates (nor are they in the notebook's bios updates) so you have to rely on firmware updates for PCI cards with the same chipset. That might not work, as with my ASMedia 1042 controller.

Blackmagic Design must update the firmware of the USB3 Shuttle and the driver in order to work with the new Intel driver.

The Asus N76 has that new Ivy Bridge controller named:

Intel eXtensible Host Controller

On the Intel 7 Series / C216 Chipset family

Remember that Renesas will introduce a 3rd generation USB3 controllers in Notebooks, so that could make the developers lazy.

http://am.renesas.com/media/products/mpumcu/usb_device/product/assp_host/up...

Corresponding vendor id's from Intel:

Compatible ID:
PCIVEN_8086&DEV_1E31&REV_04
PCIVEN_8086&DEV_1E31
PCIVEN_8086&CC_0C0330
PCIVEN_8086&CC_0C03
PCIVEN_8086
PCICC_0C0330
PCICC_0C03

Return to posts index

Nicolas Mayer
on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:06:40 pm

So if I understand correctly at this point it all boils down to how much of a priority this is for Blackmagic's developers? Or could Intel's latest controller have some inherent limitations, such as an excessive bandwidth overhead, that could prevent them from ever working with the shuttle?

It appears that BM initially launched the intensity shuttle before there was any real compatible hardware on the market. In the end, it was not a breakthrough in mobility, and static PC users probably stuck with the intensity pro, which was less fussy and had more mature drivers; I suspect that this is what killed the product.

For this reason, I think that making the shuttle compatible with the latest crop of ivy bridge laptops would be the equivalent of a product relaunch/rebirth. This time, it would effectively expand BM's market segments in the same way that the intensity extreme and ultrastudio 3d have done, instead of cannibalizing its intensity pro sales.

Return to posts index

Jr Bergstraten
on Jun 8, 2012 at 12:02:14 am

What you can do is e-mail support about this question.
And, to make sure it works visit a store nearby where they sell the Blackmagic Shuttle and ask if they can try it on an Ivy Bridge laptop, maybe after closing hours, with your HDMI camera. That's what I'm planning to do if they are available.

But it's far from ideal, I know that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]