FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrastudio Pro audio metering

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Mees
Ultrastudio Pro audio metering
on May 15, 2012 at 11:52:03 am

Hi Guys

I tried to elicit some BMD info via Twitter , but to no avail ... shoulda come to the COW first I guess :)

Very simply, I'm looking at the UltraStudio Pro as a possible I/O unit for a new suite and was interested to know some tech details regarding the front piece levels display. For example, is the audio metering channel switchable or a fixed 2 channel downmix display only? As far as I can tell, the audio meters do not appear to display any direct indication of the actual levels being monitored. Q: Are the (green/orange, orange/red) threshold levels user definable or are they fixed? Is there any means to switch between a full scale display and reference scale display? And is it possible to switch between PPM, VU and True Peak display or is it strictly VU only.

Hope the questions aren't too direct, I'm just trying to see how configurable the device might be as it seems I could make a pretty strong argument for it if it could also be used to replace an alternative / additional metering solution.

Many thanks in advance.
Andy

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: Ultrastudio Pro audio metering
on May 23, 2012 at 9:06:34 pm

Hello Andy
I have no info about the question you are asking but perhaps I could share our evolving metering concerns in North America. More programs will require a different approach than in the past as the calm act begins to be implemented. What we are needing more of now is an LKFS measurement or "perceived" volume. Some TOS requirements are mandating + or - 2 db LKFS centered on -24 LKFS.
I have now idea if these will begin to affect your world but here is the temporary solution for us until we determine house wide solutions.
http://www.vsonics.com/vmeters.php

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]