FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hyperdeck Shuttle and new SSD (aka OCZ Vertex 4)

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastien THOMAS
Hyperdeck Shuttle and new SSD (aka OCZ Vertex 4)
on May 13, 2012 at 5:18:46 pm

Just to let everybody know that the Hyperdeck Shuttle Pro 2 seems to not be working with the new OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (256GB) firmware 1.3 or 1.4.

I know this is not in the recommended SSD list in any way. But this SSD is faster than the Vertex 3 for every tested situation.
I had a try. Now I have 2 useless SSD :)

BMD guys, I just send an email to support team but I want to double it here : would you like me to send you one of the SSD so you can try by yourself and (I hope) find the reason why this top speed SSD does not work with the Shuttle ?
Thanks.

Sony PMW-EX1 - MacbookPro 17" - Dual 2Ghz G5 - 24" Samsung screen

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle and new SSD (aka OCZ Vertex 4)
on May 14, 2012 at 1:19:49 am

Hi Sebastien,

I'm sorry to hear about your luck with these SSDs. I would certainly suggest using one of the recommended SSDs to guarantee compatibility. Unfortunately speed is not the only factor when using these disks with video data.

We have just last week performed some testing with the 128GB version of the Vertex 4, and indeed it seems to drop frames pretty quickly even with DNxDHD and ProRes on the HyperDeck Studio. I'm afraid we don't know why this problem occurs, but we will continue testing SSDs for compatibility.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Sebastien THOMAS
on May 16, 2012 at 8:41:09 pm

[Chris Pearse] "I'm sorry to hear about your luck with these SSDs. I would certainly suggest using one of the recommended SSDs to guarantee compatibility. Unfortunately speed is not the only factor when using these disks with video data.

We have just last week performed some testing with the 128GB version of the Vertex 4, and indeed it seems to drop frames pretty quickly even with DNxDHD and ProRes on the HyperDeck Studio. I'm afraid we don't know why this problem occurs, but we will continue testing SSDs for compatibility."

Chris, thanks for the answer.
I offer again to send you a Vertex 4 256Gb for testing and debuging.

The 128GB is slower than the 256 and 512GB, so you have to test all of them.

I really don't understand the "speed is not the only factor" sentence.
I can imagine the official ratings of the SSD are in "best state case" with max compression, but a lot of people tested out the Vertex 4 even without any compression, on a raw sequential write and almost beat the claim of OCZ.
On my side, the BlackMagic Disk Speed Test tool, with the SSD connected to a SATA 2 and a 5GB file test is OK for 10 bits RGB 4:4:4 writing, which is far more than the Shuttle should need. And this is with a SATA2 connection, limiting the bandwidth... A native SATA3 should do better !

I don't want to make any harm to your business, and I'm willing to help, and it is MY fault if I ordered the wrong SSD, but still, I just don't understand why it is not working... and I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work !
:)

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on May 17, 2012 at 12:32:49 am

Hi Sebastien,

This week we have had the chance to test the 512GB version of the Vertex 4 here in the Japan office, and we're seeing exactly the same problem we see with the 128GB version. It is very kind of you to offer, but sending your own disk to us would not be necessary.

There's a better explanation of the problems that can be seen with some SSDs on our recommended SSD page here

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/supportnotes/supportnote/?s...

I'm not sure if the compression problem we've seen with some SSDs is what is causing the problem here, since Disk Speed Test gives good results. But clearly there is something specific to this range of SSDs that causes dropped frames. I'm afraid we don't have any way of determining where the problem comes from in this office, but the team in Australia may be able to find an explanation.

I recall similar problems with the Crucial M4 512GB, but these now work following a firmware update from the manufacturer. The Vertex range of SSDs are of course very popular so it would be great if a way to get them to work can be found.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
on May 17, 2012 at 4:34:54 pm

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/es/support/detail/supportnotes/supportnote...

I'm not saying this is the reason for dropped frames with the Vertex 4, but you have to wary of manufactureres' speed claims when it comes to SSDs.

Return to posts index

Sebastien THOMAS
on May 17, 2012 at 5:06:04 pm

Thanks Jay, Chris for both your (same) response :)

The Black Magic Disk Speel Test AND some user tests with "uncompressable" data showed the Vertex 4 "should" support the throughoutput of the Shuttle as it is better than the Vertex 3.

I just can't understand what is the Shuttle doing... Are you using specific S-ATA commands the Vertex 3 may handle better than the Vertex 4 ?

You should also create an option in the Disk Speed Test tool to specificaly target SSDs, so we won't think it is possible to write a 1080p30 RGB 4:4:4 on it while the shuttle can't write a dnXhd 1080i25 YUV 4:2:2 10 bit stream...

But I hope you'll keep searching and not wait for OCZ to release a new firmware...

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tristan Summers
on May 30, 2012 at 8:49:46 am

There is a recent firmware upgrade to these SSDs which is meant to have improved things immensely.

OCZ firmware upgrades only work when the drive is internally mounted in a PC which is a bit of a hassle for mac users.

Hopefully BMD are updating firmware before testing, and OCZ are still improving firmware to make these drives usable

Tris

Return to posts index

Sebastien THOMAS
on May 30, 2012 at 2:05:00 pm

My tests were made with the 1.4RC, which is the one bringing more speed.
Now there is a 1.4 final, but I have no Windows 7 to do the OCZ upgrade...

I will try when I find one, but BMD can have a try too... They told me they were in touch with OCZ but I have no news since then.

Return to posts index

Brian Gray
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:24:01 am

Been bitten by the same problems

Bought 6 OCZ Vector units for two Hyperdecks
Drives installed in HP workstation for testing - BMD speed test suggest 250 MByte / second write.

Sometimes work perfectly in the Hyperdeck ( only ever in slot 2, never in Slot 1 ) recording 1080I25 full res, sometimes, more often, they don't even register.

A reformat ( Quick ) into exFat ( via Win 7 ) usually cures this but I cannot hand over equipment to my customer like this, and now wasted too much time.

Flashed Firmware in drives to OCX Ver 2 - no difference ( Mar 13 ).

So OCZ Vector Drives do not seem to work in Hyperdecks ( SW V 3.7 )

Return to posts index

martin fernandez
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:27:53 am

Dear ...

I am in trouble: (

Buy for the company I work 2 Studio and 1 HyperDeck HyperDeck Shuttle
unfortunately vertex3 discs were exhausted ....
Buy 7 albums vertex4 of 512 gb. These discs do not work, or updating the firmware to 1.4. , I tested with disks and utility disk speed black magic and save everything. I really do not know what Hyperdeck, but I can not capture in any way (with or without compression). Incredible but vertex4 are faster than vertex3 and do not work!!

Technicians know if the blackmagic study this problem???, Take out a new firmware for these drives???

Excuse my bad English ...

Greetings ..

Return to posts index

Sebastien Thomas
on Jun 13, 2012 at 5:48:16 pm

Still no news from BM...

It is obvious their statment of the support page about "using the disk speed test tool" to see if the SSD can work with the Shuttle is wrong...

After many warnings and contacts with the support team, sentense is still here to fool customers, I still have no answer about my Vertex 4 issue, no clue about BM testing new (fastest) SSD and if they had an answer from OCZ.

BM, are you taking care of your customers ?

(even if I KNOW the Vertex 4 is not in the compatibility list...)

As a computer/dev expert... I would SO love to know how the hyperdeck is writing data to the SSD so I could write a simulation software... and maybe understand what is the shuttle doing wrong...

Return to posts index

Sebastien THOMAS
on Jun 21, 2012 at 2:58:18 am

I've just tested the latest Vertex 4 firmware (1.4.3.1) with the Shuttle.
Recording goes a little bit longer before dropping frames, when recording DNxHD !

It seems you really have an incompatibility with this SSD as it can handle uncompressed data way faster than you should do for DNxHD, even with 3gbps S-ATA...

I'm sad not to hear about you more often. You were supposed to get in touch with OCZ, any news ?
What about your findings ?

I'm sorry but there MUST be something in the Shuttle that make it having so bad throughput with the Vertex 4. Maybe it is the components you are using for S-ATA ?

Still no news either of a version of the speed test tool that can mimic the Shuttle. This tool still say my Vertex 4 SSD is able to handle full uncompressed HD in 12bits 4:4:4.... this is one more proof to me that the problem relies inside the Shuttle and not in the SSD...

Return to posts index

Jose Lomeña
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:54:50 am

I can't believe this. The fastest ssd in the market and is not supported?

I have 2x128gb vertex4 and 2x 256gb vertex4. With firmware 1.4 and 1.5 beta. Can't record more than 10 second without drops.

I have shuttle 2 and hyperdeck studio. Both with the same drop problem.

When i tested with Blackmagic speed test, the numbers are really high!. Where is the problem?. Will it be fixed in a new update?, or i must search other slower media?

Return to posts index

Sebastien THOMAS
on Mar 22, 2013 at 1:31:37 am

I just tried the 256G Vertex4 with the Hyperdeck with last firmware and ProRes recording, and I was able to record a one minute clip.
I'll have more tests soon, but maybe the bandwidth drop when recording ProRes is enough to make this SSD drive working.

Nikon D800, D700 - MacbookPro 17" - Dual 2.66Ghz Macpro - 24" Samsung screen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]