FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Sources NTSC 1080i vs 480p vs 480i on the ATEM TV Studio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Catalano
Video Sources NTSC 1080i vs 480p vs 480i on the ATEM TV Studio
on May 9, 2012 at 12:23:28 am

I'm going to run a webcast in a few weeks in standard definition (480i 59.96 NTSC) through the ATEM TV Studio. I have 3 different model cameras coming into the ATEM, 2 by HDMI, and one via SDI. One of them is a Sony HVR-Z7U which claims it can do 480i NTSC. Some of the others cameras, however, say they can do 480p. And even further, my Macbook Pro display settings say it can go into 480p at 60Hz (NTSC). Do I need to get an HDMI to SDI converter for the devices that claim 480p or does the ATEM automatically convert?

I have never used the ATEM TV studio before. Does anyone have any experience to verify that a Macbook Pro will actually work in 480i mode even though the display settings label it as 480p NTSC. I'm assuming that it actually is 480i or that the ATEM is able to handle 480p and make it 480i. Also, if I wanted to change all the cameras to 1080i NTSC, do you think a Macbook Pro could handle the HD feed or do I definitely need to get a more powerful tower?

Also, has anyone ever tried to hook up a Nikon or Canon 5d via the mini HDMI port? I'm assuming again that I'd need to get a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI converter to get it to go from 480p to 480i.

Return to posts index

Matt Catalano
Re: Video Sources NTSC 1080i vs 480p vs 480i on the ATEM TV Studio
on May 15, 2012 at 1:42:35 am

I'm going to start answering my own question as I now have the ATEM TV studio on hand.

My Macbook Pro 15" from late 2010 is successfully displaying in MultiView in 1080i, 720p and 480i modes. The 480i mode did not work right away. I had to switch video modes on the ATEM and on the Macbook a few times between PAL and NTSC and between 1080, 720, 576 and 480 to get it to show up.. almost as if it didn't like displaying 480i after having 1080i? I also swapped out my Monoprice.com Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter for a new one from Monoprice.com that is a HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort (3 in 1) combined adapter.

I cannot get the 5D Mark II to display its screen yet. Obviously it is not a clean feed but I'm looking into the Magic Lantern firmware update to see if there is a way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]