FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will "Intensity Pro Shuttle USB 3.0" answer my need?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Lewen
Will "Intensity Pro Shuttle USB 3.0" answer my need?
on May 3, 2012 at 8:52:22 am

Hi there!
I am doing some research online. Not completely sure, but also not getting an answer from Blackmagic Design...
Im working mainly with AE, and need to output video (preview video) to a monitor which will be the 3rd one together with my dual monitor setup.
Right now I am unable to output 3 monitors from my GTX card, and would prefer not to spend more money on a new Quadro card (for example)

For my understanding, the Intensity Shuttle via USB 3.0 is an affordable professional solution.
Am I right?

Windows 7 ---> Dual monitors + Broadcast monitor?

Of course capturing abilities are a nice +

Thanks for any input!
Adam

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
Re: Will "Intensity Pro Shuttle USB 3.0" answer my need?
on May 3, 2012 at 1:02:36 pm

Adam,

I answered your question in an older thread a few hours ago, but in case you didn't see the answer:

The Shuttle works well for me to get After Effects (and Premiere) out to an NTSC video monitor. Note that it only outputs the main window. Color Finesse and other add-ons that have their own 'monitor window' still need to be viewed on the PC monitor.

When you are comparing costs, remember that the standalone Shuttle is connected via USB3 - unless you have a very current computer you'll also need to purchase a USB3 card. The recommended card is not very expensive, but it will use up one more slot in your PC.

BM's software seems picky about which card it will work with. I had to use an older version of Black Magic's software to get the Shuttle to work. ...and BM wasn't very helpful telling me about the workaround on the phone. We still use the Shuttle for analog video capture, but I've gone back to an old firewire box for video-out because the Shuttle does not seem to output from Photoshop.

It still surprizes me that almost every analog video-out/in device I have used is so fussy to get working consistently. It might have been understandable in the late '90s, but seems like things should work better by now. (sigh)

Jim

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on May 3, 2012 at 3:42:31 pm

Thanks for your reply Jim!
I do have a couple of USB 3 slots.
Strange what you are saying about the Photoshop-Shuttle connection... Unless only the Intensity Pro is working nice with Photoshop...
I still wonder if Shuttle is the way to go in order to have a 3rd external monitor for video previews...
Late 90's indeed :)

Was it a fuss to make it work? Once it's working do you experience any Audio/Video latency/delay?

Thanks!

Adam

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on May 4, 2012 at 2:40:00 am

"...a fuss to make it work?" Yes! I got so frustrated, I was about to send it back (Actually I was about the throw it out the window and run over it with the lawnmower.) From another forum, I learned that rolling back to an earlier version of the software sometimes solved the problem. I was able to eventually get it working. And I eventually got it to work with Photoshop.
In fairness, I did not have the 'recommended' USB3 card. I assumed USB was USB, but B-M needs to work with a specific chipset. Additionally, I was in a hurry and was looking for a low-cost plug-and-play solution to get analog video INto my PC.

I have heard of folks taking the Shuttle out of the box, plugging it in, loading software, and it worked the first time. If you have the correct motherboard and USB chipsets, maybe it will be the same for you. In my case, the video you see on the monitor connected to the Shuttle is out-of-sync with the audio from the PC. If you use the Shuttle to monitor audio, audio/video sync is correct.

One of the first video capture cards I bought (early 90s) was made by Pinnacle and it captured huge files using MotionJPEG codec. It took me over three weeks to get it to work. I've probably had 8 or 10 other capture cards/boxes since that time and NONE of them were ever plug-and-play. I had heard such good things about the Shuttle that I guess my expectations exceeded the reality.

Jim

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on May 3, 2012 at 9:37:58 pm

Hello Adam,
since you are talking about a "broadcast" video monitor, and you have 2 free PCI-E slots, you could consider to buy a Decklink SDI too, since broadcast monitors support HD-SDI and (sometimes) HDMI.
The advantage of the USB 3.0 devices is that you can move them on more PCs or use it on a compatible laptop, but usually it is more difficult to get them to work (a right mainboard with a right chipset is required).

Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on May 7, 2012 at 12:05:33 pm

Thanks for all the info Jim and Paolo!
I was not aware of the Decklink SDI. Seems like a nice solution. More expensive though...
I do have a lower chipset... Intel P55 USB 3 with a core i7 processor.
So just to summarize, I will be able to use the Shuttle as long as I install a new USB 3.0 card that will prevent a bottleneck. And I should expect some tweaking time...
This is more or less the situation?
I am on the other side of the globe, so ordering and returning is a big hassle...

THANKS!
Adam.

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on May 7, 2012 at 1:37:58 pm

Hello Adam,
you're welcome, but be careful, most of times changing the USB 3.0 host bus adapter doesn't fix the compatibility problem, that is more MB/Chipset generated.

If you don't need the SDI for your broadcast monitor, there is the Intensity Pro; it has the same features of the Shuttle but it is internal and it worked on any Asus motherboards I installed it.
It has the same price of the Shuttle.

Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on May 7, 2012 at 6:05:43 pm

I bought one, and tried to make a go of it.

Unless you meet the exact specs of the Black Magic website in terms of chip sets, etc DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

It is very finicky, and only likes certain configurations. In my case, I would have had to downgrade my mother board to get it to work. I was not prepared to do that, so I sold it.

I did buy a Decklink Intensity Pro card, and found the drivers buggy in Win 7. It just slowed everything down to a crawl. I took it out and put it in an older machine as a capture card only.

Buy a $25 video card that is compatible with your GTX. I use an Nvidea GTX210, and feed the monitor you want with that. I use HDMI, and it looks broadcast ready to my eyes.

Darren

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on May 8, 2012 at 10:21:25 am

Thanks again! this is really helpful!
Darren, I actually tried doing something of that like. Without knowing much about card compatibilities, I took an older Nvidia card with S-Video out and hooked it up to the montherboard.
I never got it to work (I have tried 2 different cards).
The OS recognizes a graphic card and installs the drivers, but it feels like the main graphic card (my Nvidia GTX470) will not let others output... is it possible?

Your descriptions is a great solution, If I manage doing it, I will start there!
How do I figure out which extra card I can put next to papa GTX470? :)
Do you have any recommendations?
Were you able to output 3 screens where one of them is an external monitor with no audio/video delay?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]