FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic camera Workflow

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john stewart
Blackmagic camera Workflow
on Apr 27, 2012 at 6:02:45 pm

Had a question, and Juan Salvo thought i might want to post it here to get other feedback as well. My question is. If i shoot in RAW then take footage into DaVinci Resolve do final grading then output it as LUT 709 which I'm guessing that is a Prores file? Then I can open it up in FCP7 and edit is this correct? What type of compression, and how heavy of compression is it? Also so exporting it as a LUT 709 it's no longer Raw file correct?

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Blackmagic camera Workflow
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:14:06 pm

Hi John,

Glad you posted.

So in the other thread they discuss an online/offline type workflow. Where you do a 1 pass or just simple lut conversion, and then your edit, and then go back & do a final grade after you edit.

Another way is as I think you're suggesting. Grading once and then using that as your master. This is a perfectly valid workflow for most projects. In fact the BMDCC allows you record directly to ProRes & DNxHD for just that purpose.

[john stewart] "If i shoot in RAW then take footage into DaVinci Resolve do final grading then output it as LUT 709 which I'm guessing that is a Prores file?"

So in DaVinci you would add a LUT to the raw footage, to get it into 709 space (709 is the standard HD color space), then you have your choice of codecs. Almost any of them really. The two most common are ProRes and DNxHD.

[john stewart] "Then I can open it up in FCP7 and edit is this correct?"
Yep, at that point it's just a regular QT movie like any other.

[john stewart] "What type of compression, and how heavy of compression is it?"
It's whatever compression you choose when you export from Resolve. Could be very little or non, like Uncompressed or ProResHQ. Could be a heavily compressed offline codec like ProRes Proxy or DNxHD 36. The choice is yours.

[john stewart] "so exporting it as a LUT 709 it's no longer Raw file correct? "
That is correct. RAW formats (red r3d, or ARRIRAW for examples) are very processing heavy, and aren't very good editing codecs. But they give you lots of options for grading. So RAW is good for DaVinci, not so great for FCP.

You can choose to edit in prores (for one example) and then finish with those same files. Or you can edit in prores go back to davinci (or take your edit and raw files to a colorist) and then do a more detailed color correction on just the footage in your edit.

Hope that helps.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

john stewart
on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:51:36 pm

So with BlackMagic RAW files not so great to edit in FCP 7 that means workflow will be Import files into DaVinci grade then, then export files as Prores from DaVinci then import the files into FCP 7 and edit?
It be nice to edit RAW files first in FCP 7 then next grade in Davinci. I know this can be done in the Prores route, but I want to stay in RAW format. Any suggestions?

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 29, 2012 at 7:36:13 pm

They may have a plugin for NLEs but RAW is VERY cpu (or if you're lucky gpu) hungry. It's not a pleasant way to cut.

You wouldn't edit a film in 4K DPX, you have dailies done and edit with those. Then go back do a DI session. Same principle applies here. Also applies to RED for example. Sure you can bring red files straight in to several NLEs, but this is not a good way to do an offline edit.

Just to add, the principle backer of the CinemaDNG format that BMD is using is Adobe... so if any nle will support the BMDCC Raw I would look to them to be one of the first.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

john stewart
on Apr 29, 2012 at 8:57:26 pm

Would this be a good workflow with FCP7 ? Shoot Raw > color correct then to Prores422HQ full size > edit in PPro > export Prores422HQ 1080p ...

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:23:24 pm

You don't have to color correct first. Just make proxies, do your edit and when you send your XML's to your color grading software, just reconnect to the RAW files.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on May 6, 2012 at 7:19:23 am

We do our edits also like this.

I just take a ton of red stuff and make 720p proxys out of them
and we do offline with them. Sometimes director has those tiny prorez files in he's laptop
and he can do offline where ever he likes.

Later we grade in Resolve and get the full result.

Makes me wonder if it would be as simple to reconnect DNG in resolve after
editing proxy in fcp or what ever nle and go to DNG is image sequence.

Have not had sessions like that yet.

Any ideas?

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved