FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multibridge: any hope for thunderbolt connection?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Parma
Multibridge: any hope for thunderbolt connection?
on Apr 20, 2012 at 8:44:01 am

My Powermac Quad finally conked out and so I have a perfectly working Blackmagic Multibridge that I still use to output to betacam. I was wondering if there was an adaptor that would enable me to hook up the Multibridge to the newer Thunderbolt iMacs as I have no intention of purchasing a Macpro. Or is it ultimately cheaper to just buy an Intensity instead? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Multibridge: any hope for thunderbolt connection?
on Apr 20, 2012 at 8:50:52 pm

There is no adapter right now. There are a bunch of PCIe - Thunderbolt chassies, that my work. But it will probably be way cheaper to get a intensity or even ultrastudio 3d.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Alan Parma
on Apr 21, 2012 at 1:07:30 am

thanks for the reply! i thought so too. will this setup work?

New iMac with Thunderbolt, downgraded to Snow Leopard and using FCP 6 or 7 --> Blackmagic Intensity shuttle thunderbolt--> sony Betacam (UVW1800) capture and playback ( i have a separate USB to rs-422 for control)

also, what are the differences between the Intensity shuttle and extreme aside from the breakout cable?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 21, 2012 at 1:42:11 am

Pretty sure the new iMacs can't run snow leopard. You can run fcp just fine in lion. I don't really use intensity, so someone else will have to fill you in on that one.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Apr 21, 2012 at 8:21:24 pm

Unfortunately, in the Mac universe, you cannot "downgrade" a new Mac to an OS earlier than the OS that it ships with.. The firmware prohibits it. Looks Like you're stuck with Lion...

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:39:44 pm

[Alan Parma] "also, what are the differences between the Intensity shuttle and extreme aside from the breakout cable?"

Hello Alan,
Intensity Extreme features an additional audio output; SPDIF/AES Audio Output (2 Channel 24 bit).
If you use Y/C and Composite too, and you don't need the SPDIF out, the Shuttle will be better since it has separated connectors for YUV, Y/C and composite.
BTW, I'd never change a Multibridge Pro 2! Multibridge is one of the best products ever made by BMD!
I love that when it is not connected to the laptop I can use it as a dual channel SDI to Analog / Analog to SDI cross converter.

Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Alan Parma
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:24:23 pm

thanks for the reply, guys!

re: multibridge pro, i don't think I have ver. 2. I don't think I can connect that to a laptop. I'm 90% sure now that I will be replacing my old G5's logic board instead of using a new iMac for my analog SD editing needs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]