FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic Intensity Shuttle captures iPad2 signal!

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Kenny
Black Magic Intensity Shuttle captures iPad2 signal!
on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:59:35 am

It took a few days to figure it out, but I want to report that The Black Magic Design Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 does work mirroring an iPad2 display. There are no issues with settings or BIOS or interference from WiFi or some app hijacking the video out settings on the iPad or anything like that.

I had problems getting it to work because the Apple HDMI adapter simply didn't work. When you plug in the adapter and the ipad flashes a message that reads "this accessory is not supported by ipad," the iPad ain't kidding.

Here's how I got it the iPad to connect to the Intensity Shuttle: Don't plug the HDMI cord into the iPad adapter; plug it into the back of an Apple TV unit. Then mirror the iPad2 to Apple TV, which is attached to the Intensity Shuttle and VOILA, capture.

Black Magic is very coy about about what may or may not compatible with their product. I called the Tokyo office last week (I live in Japan), and Mr. Hirasawa(?) said (in Japanese) that they hadn't tested it on the iPad2 for capture. I also worried that my DELL PC might not be compatible, even if the NEC Renesas USB 3.0 chip and drivers worked, and they said that they weren't sure either. Chris P was terrific in communicating with me (I learned of him from Creative Cow's boards....wish I had talked to him in English last week!) and offered several plausible explanations to solve my issue.

In short, the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 will capture an iPad2 display -- not with Apple's HDMI adapter, but through Apple TV. My specs, BTW-- I have a DELL Vostro with 8G of RAM, running Core i7 on Windows 7, 64-bit.

Return to posts index

Michael Yawn
Re: Black Magic Intensity Shuttle captures iPad2 signal!
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:49:39 pm

Hey Tom,

I'm trying to capture a stream from Apple TV of an iPhone 5, and am unable to get my Shuttle to show video. What settings and methods did you use? Was it able to immediately recognize the video? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]