ATEM 1 camera set up -

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Davis
ATEM 1 camera set up -
on Apr 12, 2012 at 5:26:36 am

Hi guys -

just got ATEM 1 here in Australia.

Am after some advice of some good quality, cost effective HDMI cameras to use as basic cameras on this rig?

We have plugged in the machine and have no video to experiment yet - sad!

Also wondering if SONY HDV range works on this switcher? It seems everyone around here has one of these and a Canon DSLR - which takes me to the next question - am I a dreamer or will I get something out of a DSLR?

Want to get this machine up and running so we can head to teh bush for some community projects..

any tips appreciated - MTD

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: ATEM 1 camera set up -
on Apr 12, 2012 at 11:21:19 am

Congratulations on the ATEM1. Great box.

This switcher works at a single resolution for all inputs. Typically 720p or 1080i. Most consumer camcorders output a 1080i signal, so I would select that.

Your Canon dslr (you did not specify which one) should work just fine at 1080i through the HDMI port. Sony HDV cameras typically do not have an HDMI or SDI port, but most have component cable support. Pickup a Black Magic converter and convert to HDMI or SDI and it will work just fine. I do this quite often with the Z1. I would select the SDI because of the longer and cheaper cable support. Also, input 1 on the ATEM can be configured for component input so you can connect directly on one input without a converter. Requires three coax cables, though.

Getting various cameras to work is just an exercise in matching resolutions and frame rates. The switcher is easy. Set it to 1080i and then work on camera settings. That may be more obscure.

Hope this helps.

Jim Brown
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Apr 12, 2012 at 2:29:00 pm

The Canon DSLR do indeed output 1080i but with menu overlay only. You cannot switch this off. So the HDMI output of the Canon DSLRs are not usable for any recording or live purposes. Only the Nikon D800 offers a clean 1080i output.

Regards

Andreas

--

Entertainment Producer IHK
mindandvision

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Apr 12, 2012 at 3:21:37 pm

Thanks for the info. I had only connected my 7d and confirmed it would connect. Never intend to use it as a source so I did not pursue getting rid of the menu. Just assumed Canon would have pit that in. Thanks for the info.

Jim Brown
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]