FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hyperdeck Studio DNxHD (MOV wrapper) in Resolve not working

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Valencic
Hyperdeck Studio DNxHD (MOV wrapper) in Resolve not working
on Apr 12, 2012 at 12:25:02 am

We have a Hyperdeck Studio running the latest beta firmware that enables DNxHD in a .mov Quicktime wrapper.

Tried grading some of this material today and quickly realized that Resolve does not recognize these files. Can we expect a Resolve update soon that can read these files? Or is there a method for converting these to an MXF wrapper so they can be recognized by Resolve without transcoding?

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
Re: Hyperdeck Studio DNxHD (MOV wrapper) in Resolve not working
on Apr 12, 2012 at 5:20:36 pm

Freeware/shareware like ffmbc will rewrap files from MOV to MXF without transcoding, but it will not do DNxHD. It can do the reverse, however, which unfortunately is only somewhat helpful to you (see below).

There was another recent thread about this issue with Resolve, but since that time the Hyperdeck Software has not moved beyond the version 2.5 beta 3, so there hasn't been any visible progress. I'm sure somebody will post here, if the problem is resolved.

In the mean time, you are better off leaving the Shuttle in DNxHD MXF mode and re-wrapping the file to MOV with ffmbc. The ffmbc command line has been posted on another video website and if you Google the proper keywords, you should be able to find the thread. That way you will have both wrapper types of the same file, so you can work in a variety of NLEs and other software.

Here's example of what has been used for a ffmbc command line:

ffmbc -y -i Capture0001V.mxf -i Capture0001A1.mxf -i Capture0002A1.mxf
-vcodec copy -map_audio_channel 1:0:0:0:1 -map_audio_channel 2:0:0:0:1 -acodec
pcm_s16le -ac 2 -f mov Capture0001.mov

I've checked it with my Shuttle files and it works fine (and very fast, since there's no transcoding involved). You can speed up the workflow by using any GUI that will work with ffmpeg as they also work with ffmbc, which is just a broadcast industry specific branch of ffmpeg.

Return to posts index

Karin Davidson
Re: Hyperdeck Studio DNxHD (MOV wrapper) in Resolve not working
on May 20, 2012 at 8:36:32 pm

I've been dealing with this for 2 weeks... because I'm trying to get it into FCP as a .mov. Hyperdeck cuts it into video and audio tracks.... and the first command would combine, so thank you for this.

HERE'S MY QUESTION: But now it rewraps it as stereo. Anyone know the command to keep it into 2 audio channels?

(By the way, I've tried Calibrate and although that works great, the license is only one computer and I need it on my laptop too, so they are saying I have to buy 2 licenses - $500 bucks - too much. Although their support people have been great while trying to figure out what to do.)
(Also tried exporting out of trial version of Avid - nightmare and no uncompressed - can't find how to simply rewrap...)
(Also looked at Divinci - ANOTHER temp program to figure out?)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]