FORUMS: list search recent posts

Atem TVS - How to extract audio from HDMI camcorders?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Ovaskainen
Atem TVS - How to extract audio from HDMI camcorders?
on Apr 4, 2012 at 8:11:06 pm

Hello,

I just picked up my Atem Television Studio and I couldn't be any happier or confused. I have 4 HDMI camcorders I'm planning on using and I have recently found out that the audio isn't included and I need to have it as a separate source. How in the world am I supposed to do that? HELP!!

Many thanks,

Randy

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
Re: Atem TVS - How to extract audio from HDMI camcorders?
on Apr 4, 2012 at 9:28:44 pm

You're going to need to de-embed the audio from each HDMI feed so you can send it to a separate audio mixer. There are a number of companies that make de-embedders: several that come to mind are the Atlona AT-HD570, the Extron HAE100, and the Kramer FC-46XL (these are examples, not necessarily recommendations, and are in no particular order). Unfortunately, Blackmagic does not make a single device that does this. Typically, you would bring the feed from the camcorder to the de-embedder's HDMI input; then wire the de-embedder's HDMI output to the ATEM. Analog audio from the de-embedder goes to your audio console for mixing.

But... there is another factor at play here that you might want to consider: the maximum length you can run with HDMI. If the distances involved are more than a few dozen feet, you might want to pair a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI miniconverter with each camera and run coax back to your control point; then, just before the ATEM, pass the coax feed through a Blackmagic SDI to HDMI miniconverter. This actually opens up more options for you: it gives you the choice of plugging the camera feed into either an HDMI or an HD-SDI input on the ATEM, plus it provides the de-embedded audio for your mixer. Much more versatile, and much more robust.

Regards,

Jeff Hartman
Engineering Project Manager
Newport Television, Northeast

Return to posts index

Randy Ovaskainen
on Apr 4, 2012 at 10:58:26 pm

Jeff thank you very much for the feedback. I also purchased a BMD HDMI to SDI converter to give me the flexibility to go up to 5 cameras if I'd like. Are you suggesting that I can take the AES audio out of that converter so I at least have 1 audio source? I only really need the audio from one of the cameras, the others are mounted and further away from the audio source.

And if that's possible, do I simply use a SDI out and connect it to the TVS BNC connection or do I need additional hardware?

Thanks,

Randy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 4, 2012 at 11:57:53 pm

you have not explained how you are getting your audio. Do you have lav mics or regular mics, going thru a mixer, and you need to get this into the ATEM TVS ? To accomplish this, take the mixer out, and go into a Behringer SRC2496 analog audio to AES converter (about $129). Take the AES/EBU output and go into a Neutrik or TecNec 110ohm to 75 ohm BNC converter (about 40 bucks), and that goes directly into the ATEM TVS.

Want to take the mic off of one of the HDMI cameras - if it has analog audio output, follow the above. If it does not, use your HDMI to SDI converter (the audio on this product is INPUTS not outputs), and the from the HDMI to SDI converter, DE EMBED the Audio from the SDI stream with this Blackmagic product -

Mini Converter SDI to Audio - $495
Includes everything you need to de-embed 4 channels of analog audio or 8 channels of AES/EBU digital audio from any SDI video connection. Now you can easily access the audio in any SDI video connection for output to audio equipment such as audio mixers, analog broadcast decks, audio monitors and more!

If you get this converter, you will STILL need to get the Neutrik or TecNec 110 - 75 ohm impedance transformer to turn it into BNC for the ATEM TVS.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Randy Ovaskainen
on Apr 5, 2012 at 12:20:04 am

Bob I'm using lavs and mics but those are being fed to my switchboard and plugged into my streaming PC that's running Wirecast Pro. Ideally I would have liked a cheap solution but I think my other option right now is to put a DA in from of the Atem and plug that into my BMD Intensity Pro card on my streaming machine. I can get the embedded audio from that feed for my stream.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 5, 2012 at 2:26:51 am

HDMI Splitter. passive <$5, active <$20, from many sources.
HDMI to composite/component converter <$50 from many sources.
They all have analog line-level audio outputs.

Split/distribute the output of the camcorder: one side into the composite/component converter, and the other side to your switcher or your HDMI to SDI converter.

Both of these items are readily available on eBay for very low prices.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 5, 2012 at 12:08:41 am

First, help us understand WHY you think you want the audio from your camcorders? What audio is it? What are you shooting that makes the audio from the camcorders of any interest at all?

Typically, audio is handled separately and fed into the encoder (your ATEM TVS in this case) at the end of the chain.

The ATEM switchers (and most digital switchers) just ignore whatever audio is coming in with the video because it is assumed that you are handling audio in a separate control chain.

Return to posts index

Randy Ovaskainen
on Apr 5, 2012 at 12:27:05 am

We're live streaming tables from the World Series of Poker. We're offering a "fly on the wall" type of video so the players aren't miked up and we've found that the audio we get from the overhead camera is adequate for our needs.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:05:06 pm

How are the camera mics connected to the camera? If via one of the XLR inputs, simply disconnect the mic from the camera input, and run it to your audio board.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]