FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Express Anamorphic Capture

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Roseworn
Media Express Anamorphic Capture
on Apr 3, 2012 at 10:53:11 am

Hi There,

I was under the impression that once captured I should be able to playback an SD anamorphic clip in a 16:9 aspect ratio but I'm struggling a little and need help. Here's the details.

I've got a Sony HDW-M2000P VTR connected via the SD-SDI to a Black Magic Decklink Studio capture card.

On tape I've got a Digi-Beta with anamorphic content.

I'm using the BlackMagic Media Express software to capture the video onto a MacPro. In the software preferences I've selected "use SD anamorphic" and the preview window is correctly displaying the widescreen image. I'm out putting a ProRes 422 (LT) file (we will later edit the content in FCP-X)

When I capture the content and playback via QuickTime It is still in 4:3 and squeezed and I see no option of changing this aspect ratio.

There are other System Preferences related to the BlackMagic Capture card but changing these has no effect on my file.

Any help on how to correctly capture and playback the SD-anamorphic with the set up I have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Media Express Anamorphic Capture
on Apr 3, 2012 at 8:58:50 pm

There is nothing wrong with your file. QuickTime player is dumb and does not understand anamorphic video. If you open the file in FCP or some other edit system you should be fine.

Return to posts index

Justin Roseworn
Re: Media Express Anamorphic Capture
on Apr 4, 2012 at 5:04:42 am

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that might be the case but upon import into FCP-X there is no change to the aspect ratio.

As I understand it I can worry about this at export from FCP-X but I'd like to see it as its meant to be seen before I edit it.

I've discovered some other topics on Creative Cow and they recommended QT Edit which is doing the trick for me.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/4262

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]