FORUMS: list search recent posts

how not to install Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
how not to install Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio
on Apr 3, 2012 at 1:23:54 am

now I feel like a lot of the posters on this forum.

I get hired to build a new small studio. I spec out all the equipment, including the ATEM. I specify Samsung LCD Monitors with HDMI ports that are under $400. But these are too expensive for my client, so they go out and buy the cheapest Viewsonic monitors they can. With no HDMI ports - just DVI. So they use an HDMI-HDMI, adapted to a HDMI to DVI Female adaptor, which then goes to a DVI to DVI male to male cable. AND GUESS WHAT - it doesn't work.

Maybe I should complain on this forum that the ATEM is a piece of junk and doesn't work.

Creative Cow is great therapy for me.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Shaun Roemich
Re: how not to install Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio
on Apr 3, 2012 at 1:57:22 am

Brother Zelin... If you are at NAB with some free time I'd love to buy you a coffee or a beverage and commiserate together... Sigh

Big Dog - Technical Director - Switcher
Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC Canada
roaddogmedia@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Apr 3, 2012 at 1:14:15 pm

Hey, Bob --

By any chance have you tried using a touchscreen to control the ATEM TVS? I'm working up a project now that includes three of these along with a router, and it seems like an all-in-one PC with touchscreen and solid state hard drive for each ATEM could be pretty good operationally, but I haven't actually tried it. (No, they wouldn't be recording the video... just sitting on a small machine control network that doesn't hit the internet -- so performance isn't a big issue.)

Thanks for your input --

Jeff

Return to posts index

Justin Strauber
on Apr 3, 2012 at 1:48:49 pm

I had thought about doing this, actually. Shuttle makes a 15" touchscreen that's around $400 that would work with the 1M/E software panel. The only reservation I have against it is that it nearly kills the ability to 'touch switch', as you can't really leave your fingers 'on' the buttons without accidentally activating them. You'd have to have your hands hovering over the screen.

It would work if you're using it for sporadic use, but for actually switching something live I'd be worried it would be more difficult than a keyboard / mouse combination.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Apr 3, 2012 at 2:15:42 pm

Good point, Justin. I was actually intending to keep the keyboard in place for the sake of actually punching sources, but using the touch functions to access the other buttons like transitions. The people using the equipment will generally not have broadcasting or production experience -- this is for a church -- so I want to keep things as intuitive and simple as possible.

-- Jeff

Return to posts index

Steve Manella
on Apr 3, 2012 at 5:48:47 pm

There was an article a several/many months back in the COW magazine with a UK based company using, I believe, HP's touchscreen as the controller with the ATEM TVS. i was looking for it but can't seem to track it down.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 3, 2012 at 7:19:04 pm

I have never tried to use an HP touchscreen for the ATEM.
However, I HAVE used the Sony VAIO 24" Touchscreen for both the
Blackmagic Ultrascope, and the Blackmagic Videohub routers.
It works great. I assume the HP would work equally as good.

As for the ATEM with touchscreen - I never tried it but I bet it would work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Apr 3, 2012 at 7:27:30 pm

Thanks, Bob --

That's pretty much what I guessed, but I hadn't thought about the Sony... we have historically gone back and forth between Dell and HP over the years. Appreciate the input!

-- Jeff

Return to posts index

Steve Manella
on Apr 3, 2012 at 7:46:26 pm

We have the HP L2105TM connected to a Globalstor 2u system for both Ultrascope & Videohub router control and can say that this works flawlessly. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to test with the ATEM control but I'm confident it'll work like a charm

Steve Manella
Broadcast/Facilities Engr
The Studio - B&H

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 3, 2012 at 11:02:17 pm

This is the Blackmagic forum, but I would love to find out more about
the Globalstor.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

George Budoloski
on May 7, 2012 at 9:59:30 pm

I think that you are the person I need to speak to. I am the program director at a school division internet tv station. We are thinking of switching from the tricaster to ATEM 1/ME. I am trying through the purchase of the right gear, to duplicate the tricaster using what I hope is a more stable system like ATEM. Here is the problem. I have talked to black magic but they won't tell me what I need to get in order to do the following or set up a like system that I have with the tricaster;
1. store clips and interviews on a drive that will connect to ATEM or the Mac. (imac). They say I need a third party connector but won't tell me what.
2.What am I saving my shows to?
3. How can I run a live program online?
4. Create CG's inexpensively.

Any thoughts or help?

Thanks
George

Return to posts index

todd cochrane
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:39:57 pm

George

If your looking for a BMD - ATEM solution.. I have built a system that is a nice 4 channel..

http://www.geeknewscentral.com/2012/05/04/hdmbs-high-definition-mobile-broa...

Todd..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]