FORUMS: list search recent posts

sata dock performance with shuttle formatted SSD

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian cooney
sata dock performance with shuttle formatted SSD
on Mar 28, 2012 at 5:33:55 pm

I am using a PC with the suggested mac formatting software to format my ssd (Kingston v+ 100 128gb) and my speedtest results are pretty dismal- I am wondering if it has to do with my dock more than the actual drive? I am using the Thermaltake Blackmagix:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1268&ID=1895

My pc is a i7 processor with 9gb ram (triple channel)

680i mobo

Anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a quick video of my hyperdeck in action (well, not recording, but you get the idea)- this was for an audio test- no footage through the rig:

https://vimeo.com/39325350

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
Re: sata dock performance with shuttle formatted SSD
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:01:53 pm

Is the dock connected via SATA 2 or USB 2.0? In any case, do your Speedtest results match up with the read and write speeds reported by Windows Explorer via the copy command to another SSD? The reason that I'm asking is that many of the disk speed testing program bypass the OS and do direct IO to disks. This could lead to inaccurate test results.

If you have the MacDrive emulator (or any software that allows Win 7 to read and write HFS+ formatted disks) installed, it adds a layer of overhead to disk IO, so some performance loss is unavoidable. I have a newertechnology Voyager Q dock connected via USB 3.0 for my SSD and I get excellent performance under Win 7 x64. It's not as fast as when I had the same SSD formatted as NTFS and connected via SATA 3, but it's still pretty fast.

Return to posts index

brian cooney
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:02:01 pm

I am using the blackmagic speedtest that came with the hyperdeck shuttle utility.

I am plugging the dock via SataII and I figure that is the problem

I am getting 126mbs read 155mbs write

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
on Mar 31, 2012 at 3:09:43 am

Just because SATA 2 is spec'ed at 3 Gb/s (~375 MB/s), doesn't mean that anyone actually could get those transfer speeds in the real world. Also, BMD Speedtest reports in Mbytes not Mbits per sec. The speeds that you are reporting look a bit low for an SSD and somewhat below what I get with my MacDrive SSD and my USB 3 dock (190-200 MB/s). That's probably due to the MacDrive layer.

You could try buying a SATA 3 PCIe card, but I doubt it would improve throughput. The only way of really knowing, would be to try temporarily reformatting the SSD as NTFS and see if there is a major increase in speed. If it gets a lot faster, the bottleneck is probably MacDrive.

Return to posts index

brian cooney
on Mar 31, 2012 at 5:23:42 am

Got it- thanks for your input. I am going to try a USB 3.0 connected dock and see if that is any improvement over SataII- Will also give the NTFS test a shot.

Return to posts index

brian cooney
on Apr 1, 2012 at 7:05:16 am

USB 3.0 dock did the trick- I am now around 180 MB/s r/w and things are running much smoother now-

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
on Apr 1, 2012 at 11:44:00 pm

That's about as fast as you can expect from this type of setup. Except for copying immense files, that's fast enough, though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]